Chili Time!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cookking

Sous Chef
Got a pot of chili on the stove simmering for dinner tomorrow. Well, I say for dinner but whenever I make chili it gets eaten anytime of the day or night. Anyway, I got to thinking about homemade chile toward the end of last week and my wife mentioned it the other day then add in the chili weather we have this week and that means it time to make some chili.
Browning the ground beef and of course having a cold Abita Turbodog
img_261269_0_0fb0951fc8f3cff0501e3acd86e7f9f0.jpg

A fresh jalapeno pepper sliced up for the chili
img_261269_1_c45d5c4bd416b6cbff4fb5442d92ad9e.jpg

Don't you just love the look and smell of the onions, bell peppers and tomatoes cooking down?
img_261269_2_66455178b3f7869e7a499091fbf82730.jpg

Meat added and time for a good simmering
img_261269_3_e7fef1a0b030ef1c585929dac1515f03.jpg

Time to add that sliced jalapeno and beans right after that
img_261269_4_8de8086f290b294ccae23942662610f3.jpg

While the chili was simmering I grated a big block of Tillamook Sharp Cheddar Cheese for putting on top of the chili per bowl.
img_261269_5_e4c9f6a54cf73649c298a67a40bc48d9.jpg

long time no see, Chili is looking fantastic!!! Still not chili weather here, temps were in the mid 90's today. Hoping it cools down soon, I want to do some cold smoking!

Looking good on the Chili. Its officially winter around here. The Warden made a big pot of hamburger meat soup with cornbread on the side yesterday and we are still knacking on it. Might put some some chili on the agenda for next time. Great photography and flowing narrative.

It's not chilly yet, it's only snowed once up here. It made it up to 53 degrees today so I took the top down on the convertible on the way home from work.
Nice looking chili Traeg, I loves me some Tillamook extra sharp, my favorite cheese for burgers.

Well sounds like us country folks might need some of that special cheese too. Where do a person find it? Thanks.

Yum! That's the good eating right there.

I did a chili out on the pit the other week, just for the heck of it. Stirred in some hickory smoke, as it were, and it turned out real tasty.

Take care
SJ

Well sounds like us country folks might need some of that special cheese too. Where do a person find it? Thanks.
I find it at the supermarket. Depending on the store sometimes it is with the other cheeses, some stores have a small section of fancy sausage, prosciutto and cheese.

Ok..how do a person stir in hickory smoke as it were? i am getting a strong whiff of Liquid Smoke around here...gasp. Who has the rope and hog knife?

Ok..how do a person stir in hickory smoke as it were? i am getting a strong whiff of Liquid Smoke around here...gasp. Who has the rope and hog knife?

Mercy, you people are quick to get the rope around here. haha. I would not utter such blaspheme as "liquid smoke" in the presence of serious grill jockies and smoke maestros, let alone use the evil brew in my beloved and meaty spoils. I digress tho, to answer the question at hand.

Stirring hickory smoke into chili is more obvious and in front of your nose than you might think. All it takes is a smoking pit and a pot of chili. And a spoon. Simply stir the chili, circulating chili from the bottom of the pot to the top. Every time you stir it, you put new chili on the surface to catch the smoke. The more you stir the pot, the more smoke your chili absorbs.

If you ever catch me using liquid smoke, moderator please expunge my account immediately, less I lead smokey brethren astray.

Mercy, you people are quick to get the rope around here. haha. I would not utter such blaspheme as "liquid smoke" in the presence of serious grill jockies and smoke maestros, let alone use the evil brew in my beloved and meaty spoils. I digress tho, to answer the question at hand.

Stirring hickory smoke into chili is more obvious and in front of your nose than you might think. All it takes is a smoking pit and a pot of chili. And a spoon. Simply stir the chili, circulating chili from the bottom of the pot to the top. Every time you stir it, you put new chili on the surface to catch the smoke. The more you stir the pot, the more smoke your chili absorbs.

If you ever catch me using liquid smoke, moderator please expunge my account immediately, less I lead smokey brethren astray.
I'm pretty familiar with the "stirring in the smoke" method for chili, mac&cheese, and hocks&beans. you can see why I had to bust BW's balls about the liquid smoke thing. I like you smokey, you're an eloquent forum poster, and lots of fun.

This sounds sorta similar to letting the pintos sit on the cool end of the pit for an hour or two with the lid off. I did not realize yankees had reinvented the wheel and started adding non sensical phraseology in place of common terms. Sorry. Dont stir the meat so much. You will wind up with birdshot instead of clumps of meat. They call that..shudder..yankee chili. Where is the rope and hog knife?

Back
Top Bottom