Cheelee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puff1

Chef Extraordinaire
The day started out pretty nice but soon turned out not so nice. Rain and cold, a good day for chili.
Used ground chuck, smoked brisket, and burnt ends for the protein end.
"Un"hydrated some anchos and jalepenos I grew over the summer smoked and "de"hydrated for the heat. Added pinto beans for the encore.
Sorry about the blurry pic. Steam kept fogging up the camera.
Also made some skillet cornbread but it came out real bitter tasting.
Ingredients were 1 c cornmeal, 1 c plain flour, 1/4 c veggie oil, 4 tb. sugar, 1 egg, 4 teas. baking powder, and 1 c milk.
Anyone else have this problem as far as a bitter taste?

Chili looks real good. :D

I'm no chef, but that seems like a lot of baking powder to me too. Not sure it it made it bitter, but...

Baking powder could be the culprit. Milk was good as far as the date on the jug. I followed Aunt Jemima's instructions on the back of the cornmeal bag as far as the baking powder input.

If I had two fresh deer in the freezer, THAT'S what I would be using.....keyword 'If'.... :LOL:

Looks yummy. Now onto the cornbread. Only yankees use equal amounts of flour and corn meal. It should be like unto this 1 3/4 cup cornmeal to 1/4 cup flour. Baking powder overdose, 1 T. should be plenty. Whut is up with all that sugar? We making cake here? Little short on the milk. Usually takes around 2 cups to make it propa or you can do an Alton Brown trick by using one regular sized can of cream style corn along with 1 cup milk. Now he adds a little baking soda and uses buttermilk cutting back on the baking powder a bit I think. It gets purty close to 2 cups liquid on that deal too. Baking powder can make it bitter but looks like all that sugar shoulda overwhelmed it. My Mama always used 1 T. of sugar but I favor a squirt of honey since sugar is a deadly pizzen. What kinda cooking oil did you use? Rancid oil can mess thangs up propa..most especially rancid Olive Oyl. Hope this helps.

bigwheel

Oil was fresh.
The cornbread tasted better after it had sat a while. :?
I'll lighten up on the b. powder next time. BW I like the buttermilk idea.

Larry the wife and daughter will not eat poor bambi. :roll: I snuck it in a meal one time and there was hell to pay. :shock:

Well I aint a big fan of baking soda and buttermilk cornbread. Turns it into a whole different creature. Now sometimes I will slip a little powdered buttermik in there with just a pinch of soda. That seem to give it nice little extra whang. Fresh oil it musta been the baking powder abundance compounded by not quite enough liquid. Shoot we will have you making cornbread like an honorary Texican in no time flat:)

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Well I aint a big fan of baking soda and buttermilk cornbread. Turns it into a whole different creature. Now sometimes I will slip a little powdered buttermik in there with just a pinch of soda. That seem to give it nice little extra whang. Fresh oil it musta been the baking powder abundance compounded by not quite enough liquid. Shoot we will have you making cornbread like an honorary Texican in no time flat:)
bigwheel
That seems like a very skeery deal. :shock:

Au Contraie Monsewer....being a Januine Texican or Honorary of the species is not in the least skerry. Put a person in rememberance of being back in the Womb so to speak. Course being back in the Womb might be skerry for some folks which is smart enough to know that is the most dangerous place on Earth...2nd Place prob go to the 5th Ward in Jouston or maybe South Oak Cliff in big D. course in Cowtown E. Rosedale can be real skerry especially at night. Best bet is dress up like a Cowboy and they all think you Five O and cut you some slack. Just got to act like ya own the place..if you get my drift wink wink.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Au Contraie Monsewer....being a Januine Texican or Honorary of the species is not in the least skerry. Put a person in rememberance of being back in the Womb so to speak. Course being back in the Womb might be skerry for some folks which is smart enough to know that is the most dangerous place on Earth...2nd Place prob go to the 5th Ward in Jouston or maybe South Oak Cliff in big D. course in Cowtown E. Rosedale can be real skerry especially at night. Best bet is dress up like a Cowboy and they all think you Five O and cut you some slack. Just got to act like ya own the place..if you get my drift wink wink.

bigwheel
Off to pick me up a 10 gallon hat as we speak. 8)
Never thought no Yankee boy could even be considered for such a prestigious award. Januine huh?
I'll buy the pointy boots with the spurs to match the hat. (unpolished spurs so I don't attract to much attention) ;) ;)

Back
Top Bottom