Cell phone telemarketing is coming...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Uncle Bubba

Executive Chef
...and you get to pay for the call. This takes about 30 seconds to do.

REMINDER....8 days from today, all cell phone numbers are being released to telemarketing companies and you will start to receive sales calls. YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR THESE CALLS.

To prevent this, call the following number from your cell phone :1-888-382-1222. It is the National DO NOT CALL list.
It will only take a minute of your time and it blocks your number for five (5) years. You must call from the cell phone number you want to have blocked. You cannot call from a different phone number.

taken from

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/business/a/cell_directory.htm

Cell Phones and the 'Do Not Call' Registry
From David Emery,
Your Guide to Urban Legends.
FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!
Will cell phone directory open door to telemarketing? Should you register yours?

Forwarded email (examples below) warns that a directory of cell phone numbers will soon be published and urges users to enter their cell phone numbers on the federal 'Do Not Call' registry to prevent unsolicited calls from telemarketers.

Description: Email rumor
Circulating since: September 2004

Comments: While it's true that the major wireless phone providers (Verizon excepted) announced their intention some years ago to establish a 411 directory of customers' cell phone numbers, it is not true that they plan to "publish" said directory for any and all to read. Participating companies say the numbers would be made available only via telephone to users who dial directory assistance and pay a fee, and only with customer consent. (As of 2006, the plan to create a universal cell phone directory was indefinitely postponed.)

Cell phone service providers have also promised that the numbers would not be accessible to telemarketers. Per FCC regulations, telemarketers are already prohibited from calling cell phone numbers using automated dialers, which are standard in the industry.

Not everyone is convinced that consumers' privacy will be adequately shielded, however, as evidenced by a privacy protection bill introduced in Congress in 2004 which would have modified the plan to allow 411 callers to be directly connected to requested parties without the latter's phone numbers being divulged. To date, lawmakers have yet to act on the legislation.

Yes, you CAN add your cell phone number to the Do Not Call Registry

In any case, the Federal Trade Commission does allow cell phone users to add their numbers to the National Do Not Call Registry — the same one already in force for landlines — either via the Web or by calling 1-888-382-1222. It's probably not necessary, mind you, but millions have done it, and so can you.

Contrary to what most variants of the email rumor claim, there is no 31-day, 16-day, or 8-day deadline for adding cell phone numbers to the Do Not Call list — indeed, there is no deadline whatsoever.

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2006/01/dnccellphones.htm

Well the thing you're missing, and I want to point out is,......hold it my phone is ringing, I'll get back to this later.

After I was registered the recording asked me if I wanted to buy a coffee pot or a trip for two to Antarctica :shock:

Puff,

I've been to Antartica. It was quite a trip! Not such a bad time actually. Of course, I was sent there.

Tim

Nick Prochilo said:
Puff said:
After I was registered the recording asked me if I wanted to buy a coffee pot or a trip for two to Antarctica :shock:

Is the coffee done yet?
It'll be here Thursday........along with the new toaster :oops:

Puff said:
Nick Prochilo said:
Puff said:

Is the coffee done yet?
It'll be here Thursday........along with the new toaster :oops:

4.gif

Back
Top Bottom