Catering question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Morgan

Chef Extraordinaire
I've got a gig requested in June (pool party) for 80 people.
Just burgers, dogs, potato salad and baked beans.

Any ideas on how many burgs/dogs to make,
and what should I charge?

Captain Morgan said:
I've got a gig requested in June (pool party) for 80 people.
Just burgers, dogs, potato salad and baked beans.

Any ideas on how many burgs/dogs to make,
and what should I charge?

Cappy you getting anyone to help you with this? I don't have experience with cooking for that many people. But if it were me for 80 people, I'd get at least 120 burgers and 120 dogs. Cost, I haven't a clue! Good luck it sounds like fun!

Man I was way off and I would've had a bunch of leftovers! Glenn, I'm gonna be doing my daughters graduation party in June. I'll be contacting you soon to help me out with the amounts!!!!!

Should be an easy cook, very casual (pool party). I've gotta a girl who will help me. I'll also probably just buy the potato salad.

Mainly adults, but some kids, fair percentage of older folks, and a pretty even mix of male/female.

I cooked for some of these folks last year (for about 40 to 50). Didn't make much profit at all. (too much food left over)

I'm think 60 dogs (they're cheap...maybe 80), 60 burgers.

Just got back from Sam's Club....I can get the meats, beans and potato salad for under 100 bucks. Buns will probably run around 20 to 25 bucks.

Mustard, ketchup...I'm guessing food costs at $150.00, paying the girl $50, with a total cost of around 200 bucks. I'm thinking of asking
$375.00.

Thoughts?

I never go anywhere without my own beer....don't like it? Don't hire me!
I'm doing this for fun (and a little money) so I'm going to have fun. :grin:

Captain Morgan said:
I never go anywhere without my own beer....don't like it? Don't hire me!
I'm doing this for fun (and a little money) so I'm going to have fun. :grin:

That's right Cappy! They're getting a heck of a deal anyways, what's the big deal if you have a few beers while cooking! =D>

That's how to tell 'em Capt.! I'm taking a job this summer doing some grillwork on a deck at the local bar on the lake. My boss (also a pretty good friend and excellent cook) asks me "anything you need out there?" I said "I'll need to be able to drink beer out there." He said "whatever flavor you want." I think we'll get along just fine...

Got 30-40 bikers comin' in for lunch Sunday, good amount for a trial run....hamburgs, hot dogs, potato salad, cole slaw, baked beans and maybe pulled pork.....

Good luck w/your gig,

Rob

Rob D. said:
That's how to tell 'em Capt.! I'm taking a job this summer doing some grillwork on a deck at the local bar on the lake. My boss (also a pretty good friend and excellent cook) asks me "anything you need out there?" I said "I'll need to be able to drink beer out there." He said "whatever flavor you want." I think we'll get along just fine...

Got 30-40 bikers comin' in for lunch Sunday, good amount for a trial run....hamburgs, hot dogs, potato salad, cole slaw, baked beans and maybe pulled pork.....

Good luck w/your gig,

Rob

My first paid gig ever was also for bikers...again, didn't make much money, but they loved it, and I got 2 other gigs from it!

Raine said:
Also, you can call around to folks who cater in your area, and see what they would charge. We did that and found we were in the middle.

So, I tell folks, you can get it cheaper, but it won't be as good. You can get more expensive, and it still won't be as good.

I wish I was doing Q...hard to impress people with burgers and dogs....but I've got a few tricks up my sleeve!

Interesting, I usually use a mixture of beef broth and worchestershire sauce to hold the burgers....like to do the onion/butter/bath thing for the dogs....same you use for brats, of which I usually add a few in.

Now for the toppings, I just don't know where I can find a good mustard relish..... :!:

Capt
I never want to be the lowest priced and depending what I'm cooking I may want to be the highest priced (don't want the job).
Personely I hate doing burgers and dogs, rather do BBQ. Rule of thumb is to charge 3 to 4 times the costs. Now if they are close friends and you want to do a favor I would charge at least double.
Jim

Hey Capt. you said you wanted to have a good time. Charge like Glenn & Jim said and you will still have a good time with enough money to have another good time on your own. Don't sell yourself short man, you've got the experince!

Whats the deal on selling food off the smoker/grill on the side of the road?I see guys that do this a lot on weekends.

That depneds on your local ordinances....in most cases you can count on a visit from the local department of health and environmental control....and you may need a business liscense if you don't have one already.

Finally, you should consider liability insurance. This protects someone from suing you over your food (by the way, looks like the lady in California may have planted that finger in her chili from Wendy's...there's people like that out there.) Here, a years worth of that insurance will cost around 600 dollars.

I haven't seen too many weekend-only set-ups over the years; the few I have certainly didn't look legal. But I've been to many side-of-the-road places that are actually pretty good set-ups--large roach coach arrangements with tow-behind smokers. A lot of places only require an inspection of the food prep areas of the vehicle and the cooker(s) and then a displayed permit. Some have been okay meat-wise, some pretty good, and a few quite good. But the sides are another story, unless of course you're partial to food service canned stuff.

Back
Top Bottom