Cast Iron Frying Pan ~ OLD - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > Corporate Administration > General (Non-BBQ) Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2005, 05:14 PM   #1

Cast Iron Frying Pan ~ OLD

My wife brought home this old cast iron frying pan that has been in her family for generations. She’s pretty sure that her Great Grand Mother is the original owner which would date it somewhere in the early 1900's. It appears to be an 8
Old 02-27-2005, 05:28 PM   #2
Saint O'Que

I once found a cast iron frying pan at the edge of Rudee Inlet in Virginia Beach. After its extended exposure to salt water it was extremely rusty, but I was able to clean it down to bare metal and re-season it - my mother is still using it, more than 20 years later. So you should be able to do the same.

From the photo, yours appears to have a brand on name on the bottom, but I can't quite make it out. What does it say?

Old 02-27-2005, 05:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry D.
From the photo, yours appears to have a brand on name on the bottom, but I can't quite make it out. What does it say?
Can't quite tell ~ Looks like maybe . . WAPAK . .
Old 02-27-2005, 05:36 PM   #4
Official BBQ Central Mark

Bill,
Can't tell you about the history behind the pan. But cast iron will last forever and is pretty easy to bring back. I found one in the woods several years ago and cook on it often. All I did was heat it up on the stove top on medium high heat for about 15 minutes. Scoured it with medium steel wool pad in water (no soap). Rinsed and dried. Then got a lump of Crisco shortening on a paper towel and rubbed the inside of the pan throughly with it. Place in a 225* over for 1 hour. Repeated the Crisco method every hour for three more hours. That was it!

The basic rule of thumb with cast iron is to NEVER wash the pan with soap. You will undo the seasoning if you do and you will have to start all over. Just scour with the steel wool, warm water and apply a coat of cooking oil when you are done.

If you treat them right they will be just as non-stick as a teflon pan but will hold the heat so much better.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 07:16 PM   #5
BBQ Centralite

Bill, I echo Larry, but I do mine at 350 degrees for 1 hour. When you are done cooking, let it cool somewhat,then soak in water for abit. Take a good wok brush, or "pot" brush to scrub. These are natural bristle palm fiber (palmyra) brushes with a handle. You can get them at any restaraunt supply store. The thick, coarse fiber ends scour particularly well (I work for a company who makes brushes so I know these things.) Then, when cleaned, place it on the stove burner to dry and recoat with a thin layer of vegetable oil. These pans are the original , healthy non stick ones! I cooked beautiful 3 egg omlets tonight in my favorite 9" skillet, that thing is as smooth as a baby's keister! Do you have a gas stove? Because that makes alot of difference with cast iron. Remember, these pans should always have a somewhat oily feel. That's what makes em work! Woody

ps.here's a place you can buy them. Ao, at least get the picture.

http://insidekitchen.com/index.php?cPath=45
Old 02-27-2005, 07:30 PM   #6

Thanks guys. I'm thinking it pretty much needs to be started over too. That build-up is pretty thick though.. I've found a fair amount of info on the net about these skillets but nothing that looks like what I see on the bottom of this one.....Hmmm..

Thanks again..
Old 02-27-2005, 08:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niagara River Smoker
.. I've found a fair amount of info on the net about these skillets but nothing that looks like what I see on the bottom of this one...
I should clarify... Not the buildup, but the Logo.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:21 AM   #8

[quote=Niagara River Smoker]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Larry D.":20w3v30e
Can't quite tell ~ Looks like maybe . . WAPAK . .[/quote:20w3v30e]

Hey Bill, thats my families old motto....now send me back my frying pan!
Old 02-28-2005, 06:24 AM   #9
Official BBQ Central Mark

Just clean it, season it, start using.

I clean mine with a scotchbrite pad and hot water. Then oil.

"Of all the imaginary friends I've had, I don't think there was one that I didn't end up having to kill."

in seach of Umami
Finney is offline   Reply With Quote