Cast Iron Cookware

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Whoa! Chuck That last pot is a Lead melting pot used to pour lead joints on cast iron sewer mains, So is that laddle, DO NOT COOK WITH THAT!
I know cause I'm also a State licensed master plumber, Those were used years ago, nowdays we use a rubber gasket. You will never get the lead out the pours in the pot or laddle.
http://search.ebay.com/lead-melting-pot ... 2QQfsopZ32

also DO NOT Try to clean it!!! You will breath in toxic lead dust!!!

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
Hokey smokes, JB sure is right! I didn't pick up on that when I was looking at the pics.

He can use it for a boat anchor :LOL:

Chuck_050382 said:
that explains why it is so nasty looking..

Jenny will be sad about the laddle. She splurged on it, after I told her I didn't need it, but she thought it was really neat. And the long handle would good for cooking on the fire.

But thanks for the heads up.

I wouldn't want to do anything to not be around for my little one.

Chuck you can buy a new laddle at a plumbing supply house. They sell em by how many pounds of lead they will hold. They are still used to pour lead into cast iron closet (toilet) flanges to cast iron pipe

I recently cleaned up some cast iron that was stored in an old barn for years. I scrubbed it as good as I could, and then I washed it with Coke of all things. After that I heated them in my gasser as hot as it would go and used a flexible putty knife along with some steel wool until I was down to the bare iron. Then I re-seasoned them all.

Maybe a hand torch to burn up the crap. I use an orbital sander to smooth the inside bottom. Years of stirring roux's will polish the surface, but the sander gets you started faster.
Properly used cast iron is unbeatable.

beachbummer said:
This sounds nasty, but it works GREAT for cleaning cast.

Put a single container of lye, dissolved in water into a plastic bucker and submerge the skillet or whatever into it. Allow to soak 24-48 hours and all that nasty burned on grease is dissolved. Wear rubber gloves!!! Remove and rinse. dry thouroughy and season as you normally would.

An old fella who bought cast at a lot of my auctions taught me this and it works great!

Use safety glasses too.

Back
Top Bottom