Carnitas de Puerco - Pics, Has Video now!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

surfinsapo

Master Chef
Aka "Chunks of Pork meat"...
All I did was go to the grocery store and grab a bag of pork meat for carnitas. It was cut into about 10 pieces. Then I cut up 2 white onions, some serrano peppers and browned the meat with them. Then I added a pack of HEB Chile mix, 1 small can of tomato sauce & about 2 tablespoons of Chile Powder (ancho) to get a red color. Bring to a boil and then transfer to my Discada ( Cowboy Wok). Added water and simmered until the meat falls apart. Let the water evaporate and a thick gravy will be present. I also didn't have any salt, so I added 3 table spoons of "Slap your mama"...Tranfered back to a stainless pot and brought inside to eat!!! The stuff is awesome yall. Unbelievable flavor,,,,Served with Black beans garnished with white onions, cilantro & chedar cheese.....Ate with 2 corn tortillas too. Video to come later.....

007bond-jb said:
That do look good! Recipe?
Read boy read..Homemade.. remember what I told you on the phone last week.. Some of the best recipes are experiements....BTW.. All your food rocks, !!!! :D

surfinsapo said:
007bond-jb said:
That do look good! Recipe?
Read boy read..Homemade.. remember what I told you on the phone last week.. Some of the best recipes are experiements....BTW.. All your food rocks, !!!! :D

It sure looks good. I wish I could enjoy the aroma which I am sure filled the ketchen.

The Video is done

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="400" height="302" data="http://www.vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=814567&server=www.vimeo.com&fullscreen=1&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=01AAEA"> <param name="quality" value="best"> <param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"> <param name="scale" value="showAll"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=814567&server=www.vimeo.com&fullscreen=1&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=01AAEA"></object>

Kloset BBQR said:
Looks incredible SS! How long from start to finish did that take you?
I'd say about 1 hour total.. I didn't time it because I go off the meat falling apart method.. But an hour is about right...

big dude said:
Great looking grub and video. What was the cooker/ pan you finished them on?
big dude. The iron discada was from a company called "Campmore" and they went out of business.. The Cement Cooker is a Kamado #7 from http://www.kamado.com I usually put the discada on my gas burner, but decided to try something diffferent this time. thanks for asking... :D

surfinsapo said:
Kloset BBQR said:
Looks incredible SS! How long from start to finish did that take you?
I'd say about 1 hour total.. I didn't time it because I go off the meat falling apart method.. But an hour is about right...

Wow, I'm surprised. I'd of thought it was an all day sort of cook!

Great job again SS!

Very tasty-looking and -sounding meal -- nice improvisation!

I had to google discadas -- there are a couple of companies that sell them, for around $50, and there's an interesting article about them from the Monterey CA paper. They're tilling disks with the bolt holes welded shut, much thicker than woks so more suitable for slow cooking, rather than the fast stir-fry wok method. The most intense heat is in the center, so food can be arrayed up the sides to stay warm without overcooking. Sounds like an interesting way to cook.

--John
(My wife would probably leave me if UPS showed up with one. :( )

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom