Carbon Monoxide Meat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smokey_Joe

Head Chef
Just seen a special on television about forcing carbon monoxide into meat.

The forcing/pressure packing meat with carbon monoxide makes the meat keep it's red "fresh" look up to 3 weeks longer then the market packaging. Mostly done with the Black Angus products and ready made "fresh" hamburgers, Chicken pieces etc.... You will know the packaging by it's tub style extra thick styrofoam package and it's extremely taught clear plastic top ( almost seems like it has air pressure in package )... it's because IT DOES!!!!!!! pressurized with CARBON MONOXIDE!

Their studies showed that 90% of the meat packaged this way ....before 3-4 days of their experation date has already been "turned/bad" but had even a "fresher/red look then the FRESH meat packed that day beside it. By their testing ( bacteria growth rates ) 50% of that turned/bad meat had been bad for at least 3-5 days.Making it BAD for an ENTIRE WEEK before the experation date on packaging

They also stated that so far the FDA hasn't made conclusive studies on the effects of such practices because it's still so new and changing process to the food world they can't produce an accurate study to pass a law on it.

I know I've bought that Black Angus in them pressure packages in the past, but doubt I will ever again.........buyer beware!

One more thing that makes me love my local butcher shop even more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have no idea if being packed like that and eating it is any worse then say, riding in traffic breathing the cars exhaust beside you or not..... but I do know when there is a nasty smoking exhaust pipe beside my car window ...I PUT UP MY WINDOW...and I know I won't be buying meat packed like that anymore.

The risk may not be severe...... but why knowingly take the risk at all.

The Organic Red Bird Farms Chicken is packaged like that. I find it ironic the folks will spend the extra $$$ for "organic" poison :D :?: :roll: :eek:

Back
Top Bottom