Business is goood!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boozer

Sous Chef
If y'all would indulge me a minute, I'd like to do a little bragging. The wife was doing some bookwork, and she just informed me that we served over 1000 people this week! At a quarter pound of cooked meat per sandwich, that's 250 lbs of finished Q in one week, all on a lang 60! I'm a cookin fool! From what I've heard/read, a fairly successful food truck can expect 50-100 customers a day. It looks like 402BBQ is really taking off, thanks to all you folks for the great advice, recipes, and idears!

Last edited:
Very good news! Hearty congrats. Where you getting all that cooking wood? What kind is it? Yall got trees up there? I thought Nebraska was solid wheat fields with thousands of guy in neckties and crew cuts wandering aimlessly over the prairie in some sort of dazed condition...mumbling "go Big Red." Or thats what an article in a biker magazine said one time.

Lol, that's central/western Nebraska. Cornfields and cattle pastures, as far as the eye can see. Not a lot of necktie, type folks here either, but pretty much everyone is a HUSKER fan, Go Big Red! We got lots of apple, maple, and mulberry trees here on the east side of the state, that's what we cook with usually. I get most of my wood from a tree guy near my house, processed, for 100 a cord. There's another tree guy in south Omaha, where I can get free wood, but I have to cut and split it myself. I don't enjoy that kind of work, and I imagine my neighbors don't love hearing my chainsaw at 6am!

This is great news....................can I borrow $20 bucks:rolleyes:

Keep in mind good and bad times will be there, but right now keep rockin man:supz:

When I first started my photography business, I had $340,000 years!
When I retired I wound up making 10K a year.....dead serious!!!!

Technology put me out of business.......thanks God people need to eat all the time!

I really wish you well, just keep an eye open for business..........meanwhile enjoy the hell out of it!!

Last edited:
While we can do it, we're going full bore! Socking away money is a standard practice for us, that's how we got this going in the first place.

Hundred bucks a cord is nice. Last I checked for split Oak was 250 and you got to come get it yourself.

250?!! That's crazy! The guy told me he'd give me oak for 75. Not much demand for it round here, except for fireplaces. I know it's a good cookin wood, I've cooked with it before. and apparently folks down your way use it a lot! A really lot, if they're getting away with prices like that. but here it's all about the apple and mulberry wood.

Yep that is a great deal. Maybe the thing is..and learned this the hard way..oak is very good in low o2 settings..such as the little tight wound pits..Stumps..BWS WSM maybe? It gets stuff smokey without being treacherous as with hickory and peecan..cheery etc. Now could see a person might want somethng more assertive for an offset log burner. I cant imagine trying to feed the ravenous maw of the beast with straight apple and muberry. Us thrifty Scots/Irish would use a base fire of oak and the other stuff to give it some flavor. Try that while testifying to using whatever strain is popular is what you are using exclusively. There ya go.

Hey I'm half Irish too, and thrifty as anyone's business. I just find the hardwood flavor to be a bit acrid tasting. Ima stick with Fruitwood, let ya know how it goes!

Back
Top Bottom