Brisket Slicer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DarylCincy

Senior Cook
I just got me a 12" slicer, I hope it will slice up my brisket better that the chefs knife that I've been using.
It's a Dexter/Russell 12" Duo-Edge i-Cut Model, also it came with a plastic knife guard. I got it at The Restaurant Depot and gave $27 for it. Question should I use the plastic knife guard or is there a better way to store the knife? I know there are better more expensive slicers but I'm hopeing it will work fine for me?
pic.
img_208152_0_b9447e12dcea31707b1070f3d8a34080.jpg

Congrats on the aquizition. I had a cheap slicer and it works fine on lunchmeat if a person happen to get some free chub baloney but I would not try to punish a brisket with it. Trouble is them slicers do not realize when the grain changes..which is prone to do on a brisket flat in about 3 different angles..then there is the point which also changes several times in opposite directions. By the time you get one trimmed to fit the chute with the grain in propa alignment you coulda done had it sliced. Plust they have to be washed which is real boring. Thats why if you go into a reputable high volume Deli Jasons Deli is a prime example around these parts. I dont know Jason personally but would guess he's a rich boy. Sometimes you get a good tender reuben and sometimes it like trying to swallow a pair of panty hose. Just depends on which way the crazy slicer was pointing when it hit the grain. 90 degrees is perfect. If you aint already used it give it to somebody for Christmas. I think my el cheapo slicer cost 40 bucks but it the same principle in operation. The good news is the high dollar ones dont work worth a flip on brisket neither. Hope this helps.

bigwheel

If that is the case then I'm glad I didn't spend more than $27 for the slicer knife.....Thank You for your comments bigwheel.
.... maybe a electric knife would work better....

ScottyDaQ said:
it'll work fine. I hang my gear on a mag strip. You should be able to find those at the same store.
Dexter Russell slicers are what I use to slice large cuts.

I think I will get some magnetic strips, Thank's for the tips ScottyDaQ. I will let you know how the slicer works for me.

I was told " nothing will dull or ruin a knife faster than putting them all in one drawer". This comes from my mom who was teacher of home economics for 30 years in a high school. Don't you just hate when mom and dad are always right. :LOL:

pigs

A GOOD quality large sharpening steel is essential as well as learning how to use it and having it handy at all times.

Definitely electric knives work good. Go to Academy Sports or its counterpart in your area and buy yourself an electric powered fish fillet knife. Seems like Mr. Twister or American Angler is the best. Rapala dont do well on the electric version or that the rumor I heard. They work much mo betta than do their household derivatives. You can get em to plug in the wall..run off a car/boat battery..rechargeble etc. Bunch of the big comp boys and girls use em in this neck of the woods. For high volume work you definitely want one to plug in the wall. If you comp cooking the mo portable model be whut the doctor ordered. Best of fortunes to you.

bigwheel

DarylCincy said:
If that is the case then I'm glad I didn't spend more than $27 for the slicer knife.....Thank You for your comments bigwheel.
.... maybe a electric knife would work better....

Well I was the proud owner a 10" curved cimitar butcher knife which had them folks name emblazened on it. Actually the sorriest peece o crap excuse for a knife I ever owned. Could give a person a bad old Corporal Tunnell syndrome on one rack of ribs. I gave it away to somebody I didnt like seems like. I aint overly impressed with their products in other words :evil:

bigwheel

there is absolutely nothing wrong with storing your knife in the plastic guard it came with.... just make sure the knife is dry before you put it in there

Bobberqer said:
there is absolutely nothing wrong with storing your knife in the plastic guard it came with.... just make sure the knife is dry before you put it in there
Thanks for the reply Bob, I will use the plastic guard then.

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
I was told " nothing will dull or ruin a knife faster than putting them all in one drawer". This comes from my mom who was teacher of home economics for 30 years in a high school. Don't you just hate when mom and dad are always right. :LOL:

pigs
Check out the "Blade Safe" protector. I got mine offf of ebay but heres a link to what it is...They work awesome!

http://cgi.ebay.com/VICTORINOX-FORSCHNE ... 56381cf6d5

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom