Brisket Question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Copied from askthemeatman.com

The Beef Brisket is a very course textured muscle. The heavy layer of fat and the sternum or breast bone have been removed. Due to the course texture of this muscle, cooking in liquid is recommended. It can be purchased whole, Point Half or Flat Half.

Beef Brisket Point Half Boneless
Beef brisket point half boneless is the brisket (breast) section between the foreshank and plate. It contains of layers of fat and lean meat, but no bones. Often cured in salt brine to make corned beef brisket.

Beef Brisket Flat Half Boneless
Beef brisket flat half boneless comes from the brisket (breast) section and is cut from the rear portion of lean meat and fat closest to the plate layers. The breast and rib bones are removed. Often cured in salt brine to make corned beef brisket.

Bill, if you know where the hindquarter is, the brisket is no where near there. Thats about all I know fer sur....Hope this helps. ;)
dj

ScottyDaQ said:
Is this a muscular/skeletal relation type question, or a Meat cutting/Prep for BBQ question?

Just curiouse here. I started wondering and couldnt really find any info on google. I know where it comes from but was wantin to know what purpose it served for the animal.

Brisket is like a cow breastes. As in the chest region. Not to be cornfused with udder stuff:)

bigwheel

Does the point attach to the leg or do both points meet in the middle of the chest.. I probably just should of asked this in the first place. thanks! ;)

I think it just dangles in mid air or cow meat or whutever. Now if you ever get a real untrimmed brisket it has fat on both sides. The fat which faces out is real brittle and clings to the brisket with little tenacles. I suspect this is whut blocks off the cold North wind.

bigwheel

Well it depends on whether the cow is left or right handed/footed. If the cow is a South Paw the right one would be best seems like to me. Now for ambidextrious switch hitter cows guess it wouldn't matter too much.

bigwheel

It's probably right next to the rib bones. The "flat" would be the pectoralis....I guess????

:Edit:
Ahhhh Thank you Wiki!

The brisket is made up of two separate muscles (pectoralis major and pectoralis minor), which are sometimes separated for retail cutting: the lean "first cut" or "flat cut" is NAMP 120A, while the fattier "second cut", "point", "deckel", "fat end", or "triangular cut" is NAMP 120B.

ScottyDaQ said:
It's probably right next to the rib bones. The "flat" would be the pectoralis....I guess????

:Edit:
Ahhhh Thank you Wiki!

The brisket is made up of two separate muscles (pectoralis major and pectoralis minor), which are sometimes separated for retail cutting: the lean "first cut" or "flat cut" is NAMP 120A, while the fattier "second cut", "point", "deckel", "fat end", or "triangular cut" is NAMP 120B.
So, if you could train the steers to do push-ups ... :P

--John

Well....I think if a person want to call a part of a cow the boob they nearly gonna have to vote for the part where the milk comes out. I am purty sure that is the way mammals is contructed as far as I know anyway. Now I am not speaking of marsupials here of coure. They is all mixed up. Don't even get me started on duckbill platapusses etc.

bigwheel

Wow.... askin' where abouts brisket cuts from is like one of those questions that get the answer.....

If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand.

Next they'll be asking which is da bestest lighter fluid to use on their charcoal :roll:
:LOL:

Smokey_Joe said:
Wow.... askin' where abouts brisket cuts from is like one of those questions that get the answer.....

If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand.

Next they'll be asking which is da bestest lighter fluid to use on their charcoal :roll:
:LOL:

Understanding where the brisket comes from, Im tryin to figure out where the Point end of the brisket attaches. Either to the shank or is it deeper inside the animal?

Back
Top Bottom