Bob Barker says............

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smokey_Joe

Head Chef
Bob Barker says have your pet spayed or nuetered.........

Take his advice!

Our 8 year old Chocolate Lab "Ozzie" had a litter of 8 pups when she was 2...she was never spayed after that. To our regrets now...... she almost just died.
It happens quick...or at least it did to her.

About 4:30 P.M. Tuesday she starts dripping a bit vaginally around the house, which was odd because her last heat was about 3 weeks or so ago. By bedtime she's leaving a trail on the hardwood floors where ever she walks and lays. I call the VET....(closed)...I call the emergency number... they say unless she has a fever, not to really worry and have her checked soon. I let her out before I go to bed, she starts mowing the lawn! I mean chompin' away like a fur covered John Deere mower!!!!

I figure her stomach must be soured from licking that stuff. She never vomited. We go in the house and she is panting, whimpering, won't stay still can't lay down. I call the Emergency number again....again they ask if she has a fever...I check and she's fine. They say be sure to go our vet in the morning. I lay with her on her doggie bed till about 2:30 A.M. till I just can't see her suffering anymore and load her in the truck to go to the Emergency Vet hospital.

Murphy's Law...all the local ones are closed for some stupid reason or another. I drive 2 and a 1/4 hours to the closest open one. They take her in, check her and start panicking and calling people in out of bed. They say she has "open pyometrea" and has hours or less to live without immediate surgery. Her uterus became infected, swollen and ruptured. Her white blood count was off the charts, her kidneys were in renal failure, she was extremely anemic etc...a very septic situation with her body....they compared the severity of danger to a ruptured appendix in a human times 20!

Anyhow.....she came home this morning. She's doing well so far. She's on 3 different antibiotics, pain killers and some other med to aid her kidneys recovery. She has 42 staples up her belly, looks like they splayed her stem to stern like a pig for cooking to do the operation.

The bad news....so far the bill is $3,850.72

The good news....she is alive

I know she's just a dog to some.............but she's a fur-person to me :D

I'll add a picture of her resting on her doggie bed.

and I'll add another picture of the tic that I took off her freshly shaved belly on the ride home.

I guess if she was spayed...this would/could never have happened...

PLEASE SPAY YOUR DOGS...IT MAY SAVE THEIR LIVES.... they said death rate is over 90% in this disease...and death rate on the operating table is over 75% while trying to remedy problem.

Also...check your animals for tics when you leave a vets office!!!

Ozzie resting....

The monster Tic....biggest I ever seen.

My dog Skipjack a Chesapeake Bay Retriever sends his thoughts and doggy prayers

Glad to hear things worked out for Ozzie, Joe. Quick thinking and persistance on your part saved her life. Glad to hear she is resting comfortably.

I agree, spay and neuter your animals, lots of problems even beyond health are solved that way. BTW Bob Barker would have probably done well to have taken his own advice and had himself neutered. Would have saved him millions in legal fees fighting off those sexual harrassment charges from those Price Is Right models. Got to give Bob credit though to be that frisky into his seventies. :D

Glad to hear that she's doing OK now...we can relate...we thought we were going to have to put our down in May...not a fun thought.

It truly is amazing how much we'll spend to take care of or pets. Been there, done that and will probably again some day. As the old saying goes...if there aren't dogs in heaven, I'll see you in hell. Good luck to you.

Uncle Bubba said:
It truly is amazing how much we'll spend to take care of or pets. Been there, done that and will probably again some day. As the old saying goes...if there aren't dogs in heaven, I'll see you in hell. Good luck to you.

DOG IS GOD
SPELLED BACKWARDS
(FOR A GOOD REASON)
They are heavenly creatures ! ! !
Made in the mirror imagine of God

God created dog and Adam said, "But Lord, I have already named all the animals in the Kingdom and all the good names are taken and I cannot think of a name for this new animal."

And God said, "No problem! Because I have created this new animal to be a reflection of my love for you, his name will be a reflection of my own name, and you shall call him DOG."

Back
Top Bottom