Blechhh!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Morgan

Chef Extraordinaire
A friend of mine went to Texas last year and I asked him to bring me back something bbq related. He brought me back a bottle of Claudes Brisket marinade...look great...sort of like woos. Anyway it sat in my cabinet till now...I've got a london broil I've have to cook this weekend, so I thought I'd try the Claudes.....opened it up and tasted it.... it's

LIQUID SMOKE! Tastes like that's all that's in it! So I read the label, and apparently it's meant to create a real pit flavor...in your oven! Think it's going down the drain.

Captain: Why dump it down the drain? It can be a useful tool in fooling the public when vending. I have seen people in the barbecue circuit putting a shot or two in there spray bottle or mop also. Oh hell they won't admit it, or will deny it till there grave, But its done. Most of the time it's disguised in a wostershire bottle. I agree its gross and should not be tolerated in any way, But the simple fact is that it is being done and sometimes it leads to hardware and a check in competition cooking. Is it cheating? I think so. But only if you get caught. Simple fact of the mater is that most comp judges go by looks first, Then by taste. If the meat they turn in is lacking flavor, It's given a shot of the bastardized spray bottle. Sweet beats heat hands down. Over smoking makes meat bitter as we all know. But I must say a little shot of the evil liquid smoke will pick up a flavor when mixed properly in a spray bottle with apple juice will go a long way when proper fire tending is forgotten or ignored.

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
Captain: Why dump it down the drain? It can be a useful tool in fooling the public when vending. I have seen people in the barbecue circuit putting a shot or two in there spray bottle or mop also. Oh hell they won't admit it, or will deny it till there grave, But its done. Most of the time it's disguised in a wostershire bottle. I agree its gross and should not be tolerated in any way, But the simple fact is that it is being done and sometimes it leads to hardware and a check in competition cooking. Is it cheating? I think so. But only if you get caught. Simple fact of the mater is that most comp judges go by looks first, Then by taste. If the meat they turn in is lacking flavor, It's given a shot of the bastardized spray bottle. Sweet beats heat hands down. Over smoking makes meat bitter as we all know. But I must say a little shot of the evil liquid smoke will pick up a flavor when mixed properly in a spray bottle with apple juice will go a long way when proper fire tending is forgotten or ignored.

LOL I think I know you, but I'll just say...it tastes nasty! I'd have to use a bunch of apple juice to get rid of that bitter taste!...but I'm a cheap bastard, and I do have a cook coming up in June. Might mix a little into my hamburger meat! Thanks!

Captain: I'm talking less than a 1/8 tsp per quart of apple juice. That bottle you have may last a life time or more. The idea is to just tickle (for a lack of better terms) the meat. Only other thing that shit is good for is to dump down the defrost and AC vents in the guys car or pickup that gave you a crap at the liquror store,Or has stolin your old lady.

Greg Rempe said:
Or the toilet! No need to stink up your drain with that stuff!! :eek: :eek: :!:

Is that safe for septic systems?

I wonder if you could give it to someone who has a food dehydrater to make jerky......

Rob

Rob D. said:
[quote="Greg Rempe":39ko47zn]Or the toilet! No need to stink up your drain with that stuff!! :eek: :eek: :!:

Is that safe for septic systems?

I wonder if you could give it to someone who has a food dehydrater to make jerky......

Rob[/quote:39ko47zn]

Rob, where is Coventry? I was just in Hartford two weeks ago! Had dinner with another Q friend at Hops Brewpub

Woodster, Coventry is about 20 miles east of Hartford, home of Nathan Hale....mmm, Hops, they got some pretty good chow there....Had to due an inspection on the one in Newington, very clean kitchen...

Darn, I work in Hartford, I thought I saw a post of yours saying you were coming out here, but I totally spaced it...could've gotten together....next time....

Rob

Back
Top Bottom