Beans and Cornbread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Morgan

Chef Extraordinaire
It was cold this morning, and the mere mention on Witts b-day thread had me craving beans and cornbread.

I use the quick soak method instead of the overnight method.

Boil dem beans for 2 mins, then let soak for an hour.

Hocks and onions ready to go.

have to wait till 1:30 my time to continue

Leave the lid on to Keep the Poots in. lol We would joke about that as kids when myMom cooked Beans and Cornbread.
She'd take the lid off and we'd put it back on.

Good stuff man.

I got some Turkey and Dumplings I'll have for dinner. Buzzard Soup we call it.

Enjoy!

actually, if you change the water after soaking, either method, you will find a remarkable difference in the amount of gas you have, which is important when you're serving this to 5 guys in a small room on poker night.

sooo..drain the beans. Most directions call for you to pick out split beans....don't...they make the gravy.

add a chopped onion (not diced) and the hocks to FRESH water.

I let this boil for 10 minutes to get the juices flowing.

chop some ham and throw it in now

vinegar bean sauce ready to go

add the beans

boil for 10 minutes, then simmer for an hour

time to make the cornbread...

dry ingrediants mixed, had to use seasoned salt, all I had..

lowfat buttermilk added

heres the fat...melted butter in a preheated cast iron skillet

Cast iron makes the best corn bread.
I don't seem to see any beverages in the pics?? ;)

Hey them beans look sorta white. Them aint yankee beans by any chance now are they? Hopefully they is real beans..aka Pintos. Hopefully just a little light complexioned.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
real beans..aka Pintos
Got to agree with you there. We have ham and pintos and cornbread about once a week. I also add some crushed red pepper flakes. When we're traveling and don't get our beans, it's usually the first thing I fix when we get home. :)

--John 8)
(My mother-in-law prefers Great Northerns. With ketchup. We force her to eat pintos. Without. ;) )

Is the vinegar sauce the same as you would use on pulled pork or is it different for the beans? Sounds darn good.
Looks great Cap 8)

Around here we use hot pepper vinegar drizzled on top of our beans. White beans, pintos, all get eaten at my home. Got to have cornbread, and onions too.

Looks great to me Cappy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom