Bean Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I will post a white bean soup recipe I have over in the recipe section if I can find it.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
White beans do to not require soaking. Dont try it with black eyed peas neither. Does your blushing bride ever allow you to watch the food channel on TV? Thanks. Might help if you promise to skip Rachel Ray. She is purty hot.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
This recipe was posted by my old pal Jack Chambles. He a native Texican but now hangs the hat in Hotlanta for some reason. Seems like I made it one time and it come out very good.

bigwheel

1 # Navy Beans
1 Ham Bone with some meat on it. (should be a Virginia ham)
1 C mashed Potatoes
3 Large Onions - chopped
2 Cloves Garlic - minced
1/4 C Parsley, chopped.
1 Small bunch Celery - chopped

Soak beans overnight in water to cover.
Drain beans and put in a soup pot with ham bone and 3 quarts water.
Simmer 2 hours.
Stir in mashed potatoes, onions, garlic, parsley and celery (including
tops).
Simmer another hour or until beans are done.

Remove the ham bone and cut the meat from the bone.
Discard bone and add meat to the soup.
Serve hot

Make up your mind BW. In your previous post you said white beans don't have to be soaked. Then you post a recipe that you use that says to soak them.

Either way I always soak my bean, I just like to! But at least I don't change my mind about it! Must be a Texan malfunction!

One last thing............Mashed potatoes in bean soup??? The beans have more than enough starch to thicken if that's what the taters are for. But what do I know I'm from Virginger!

Well I just passing on the recipe as posted..not ruling on the wrong headedness of soaking white beans or peas. Guess you will have to straighten out them Senators on the mashed tater thing too Prob a nice email to Ted Kennedy should do the trick.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Well I just passing on the recipe as posted..not ruling on the wrong headedness of soaking white beans or peas. Guess you will have to straighten out them Senators on the mashed tater thing too Prob a nice email to Ted Kennedy should do the trick.

bigwheel

I was just saying................................ also yanking your chain in a good Holiday spirit!!

Well thought I felt something yanking at my neck..that musta been whut it was:) Hope you and yours have a great Thanksgiving.

bigwheel

Finney said:
Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Greg Rempe":2fjj8l7r]I like it better when you two fight! :shock: :LOL: :LOL: ;)

Rempe you're walking a fine line, keep it up and I'll have Finney remove you from his board.

He is indeed walking the tight rope.... I'm keeping my eye on him. [smilie=wtf2.gif][/quote:2fjj8l7r]

I've banned him many times on my forum, but he keeps coming back some how. [smilie=a_whyme.gif]

Finney said:
Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Greg Rempe":2423lrb8]I like it better when you two fight! :shock: :LOL: :LOL: ;)

Rempe you're walking a fine line, keep it up and I'll have Finney remove you from his board.

He is indeed walking the tight rope.... I'm keeping my eye on him. [smilie=wtf2.gif][/quote:2423lrb8]
I think something should be done NOW! ;)

Puff said:
Finney said:
Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Greg Rempe":2qfjk6ke]I like it better when you two fight! :shock: :LOL: :LOL: ;)

He is indeed walking the tight rope.... I'm keeping my eye on him. [smilie=wtf2.gif]
I think something should be done NOW! ;)[/quote:2qfjk6ke]

Make it so #1.

ScottyDaQ said:
Puff said:
Finney said:
Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Greg Rempe":15ker6dg]I like it better when you two fight! :shock: :LOL: :LOL: ;)

He is indeed walking the tight rope.... I'm keeping my eye on him. [smilie=wtf2.gif]

Make it so #1.[/quote:15ker6dg]

Where would he go?

Finney said:
ScottyDaQ said:
Puff said:
Finney said:
Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Greg Rempe":3qxxq7nl]I like it better when you two fight! :shock: :LOL: :LOL: ;)

Make it so #1.

Where would he go?[/quote:3qxxq7nl]
Texas BBQ rub. Then Woody would be his moderater!

Nick Prochilo said:
Finney said:
ScottyDaQ said:
Puff said:
Finney said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":2tve0lcu][quote="Greg Rempe":2tve0lcu]I like it better when you two fight! :shock: :LOL: :LOL: ;)

Make it so #1.

Where would he go?[/quote:2tve0lcu]
Texas BBQ rub. Then Woody would be his moderater![/quote:2tve0lcu]
He wouldn't last a day :LOL:

You guys motivated me. The main cast

img_75053_0_cacdab23522cc576cf4b0c86e9c71a22.jpg

I’ve done this from scratch and with canned beans, I cannot tell the difference

The supporting players

img_75053_1_4e5257934b731edf3ebe984e55fc4b8d.jpg

Thoroughly rinsed

img_75053_2_494db96e81b1ef6c8829f5cfd2ccc2b8.jpg

Veges ready

img_75053_3_952df0576434e34a2d69597d40d1099c.jpg

All together now

img_75053_4_795eb5b848781f3f0a60306789a4c89a.jpg

Bring to a simmer then cover

img_75053_5_eb6aaf10b521acf0ada4d16931611787.jpg

Nice yellow color from the ham hocks. I’ll let it sit in the refrigerator for a day or two.

img_75053_6_9964fbed7a772a4a2234d34ac10eb309.jpg

Be back with rest of pics when served

Very nice John! I've never tried the Rotel or the canned beans! I may do that on the next batch. I have a bag of split peas begging to be cooked this weekend first though!

Larry Wolfe said:
Very nice John! I've never tried the Rotel or the canned beans! I may do that on the next batch. I have a bag of split peas begging to be cooked this weekend first though!
Ro-tel's spicy tomatoes and Bush's beans are both great ingredients. Like John says, the canned ones are so good I rarely do dry beans any more. :)

--John 8)
(Split pea soup is great too, as long as I'm spending the rest of the day alone or outdoors. :oops: )

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom