BBQ pasta salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justaguy

Sous Chef
I want to make a pasta salad with a bit of Q influence for a party I've been invited to this weekend. I'd like it to be as strictly side dish as I can get it maybe just bacon or something as far as meat. I tried to search in the recipe section but that useless, just a bunch of daddiQUe crap. Anyone got any suggestions?

If I was to try to put together a BBQ inspired pasta salad ther is a couple of ways to go about it.

The first would be to modifiy a sucotash recipe. I'd grill the corn and onions and whatever else the recipe called for and toss it with some oil into the pasta. You could also add some chicken or other BBQ meat.

The second way wold be to add some of your favorite rub or rub ingredients to some oil and toss the pasta with it again adding some meat.

The third way would be to use a coleslaw recipe minus the cabbage and use the pasta instead.

Just a couple of thoughts.

1 bag frozen lima beans - (16 oz)
1 bag frozen sweet white corn - (16 oz)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
1 onion, chopped
2 red bell peppers, chopped
2 poblano chilies, seeded, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
1 can low-salt chicken broth - (14 1/2 oz)
1/2 cup whipping cream
2/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Salt, to taste
Freshly-ground black pepper, to taste

Cook lima beans in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, about 6 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in white corn. Drain well.

2. Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add cumin seeds and stir until toasted, about 3 minutes. Add onion and sauté until translucent, about 8 minutes.

3. Add bell peppers, chilies, garlic, and oregano; sauté until peppers are almost tender, about 4 minutes. Stir in lima beans and corn, then broth and cream. Simmer until vegetables are tender and coated with cream, about 20 minutes.

4. Stir in 1/3 cup cilantro. Season succotash to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Stir over medium heat to rewarm.)

5. Transfer succotash to serving bowl; sprinkle with remaining 1/3 cup cilantro.

6. This recipe yields 10 servings.

Something like this would be a good starting point

use some bbq sauce in a dressing on a standard pasta salad and of course a geneerous amount of crumbled bacon

For the pasta I would recommend using orzo. It's kind of rice shaped but larger. Grill up some onions, bell pepper, and some corn, maybe add some Mexican dry cheese (the name escapes me) or feta would work. A light bit of chopped cilantro possibly, that is kind of more Tex-Mex but should still taste great. Double + on the bacon!

Well it would not go well to serve bbq flavored pasta to folks along with bbq. It sorta like wearing a striped shirt with plaid britches. Just make up a good pasta salad and let it survive as itself. It should clash with the bbq not taste like it. You start throwing bbq spices in the pasta you gonna make folks puke etc.

We have tried to use up bbq in all types of creative manners. For getting rid of dead barnyard avians a person can sub out smoked chicken meat for the meat ration of the Stove Top Stuffing Casserole. Tastes sorta like smoked turkey and dressing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom