BBQ Guru questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Finney

Master Chef
Savannah, GA and Somewhere near Lexington, NC
Cruising,
The best thing you can do is call them and talk to Fred. He will help you with everything you need. Their website can lead to some confusing decision making.
But they make a unit that only monitors the pit temp (one probe) and a unit that monitors the pit and the meat temp (2 probes). To me it doesn't make sense to get the one with 1 probe. The price is very close and the 2 probe model gives you the option of meat temp. Also, it has ramp mode. (Fred can explain). I usually tell people to use their WSMs until the are very comfortable using it without a Guru. That way if it ever breaks or the power goes out... you still know how to cook. And cook well. :!:

Listen to what Finney said I agree with all of it.

The Guru is a really great tool but get the basics down first. That way when you start to try to figure out how to use your Guru you aren't learning too many things at once.

BTW, Lots of folks use the two probe Guru model and an additional remote therm.

One cook I had my guru going with two probes to control the cook. Plus I was using 1 probe from my NuTemp to monitor my pit and the other two probes to monitor a brisket and a chuck roll I was doing. The thing that made this special is that it was cold and raining outside and I barely had to go outside for the entire (overnight) cook.

Cheers

And to add on what Rob was saying.
I always use a Nu-Temp or ET-73 probe to monitor my pit and meat temps as well as the Guru's probes. One for convenience and two as a back up just incase I start getting some screwy readings from any of them.

Cruising said:
Susan Z said:
YOu can TOTALLY turn the alarm off! It's a skill I had, then lost, and have now regained. It's, er, actually in the INSTRUCTIONS for those who care to read those kinds of things....!

Cool. I downloaded the online manual and didn't find it in there. There must be a different set of instructions (or I may be asking you for them) :)

Cruising, look here!

http://www.thebbqguru.com/great_water_pan_debate.htm

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom