BBQ GURU PODCAST... - Page 3 - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > Corporate Administration > General (Non-BBQ) Discussion
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 01:32 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Prochilo
As soon as I see a post from you, telling everyone how much you love your guru, I'll cut you all the slack you need!
Not me!!! :horse: :horse: :horse:

Old 10-14-2005, 03:34 PM   #22
Cooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan
I was wrong one time, but I can't remember when it was.
I was wrong once as well Cap. I thought I made a mistake.

http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/3453/airboss4gl.jpg
Old 10-14-2005, 07:04 PM   #23
Official BBQ Central Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexLaw
Larry, I don't know that you need a Guru on a pit to do overnight cooks. Just buy or make yourself a well-designed charcoal basket, learn how to use it (i.e., set your vents), and go with that. You can get a good five or six or more hours out of one of those, depending on how you go about it. You may not have a nice, eight hour nap, but you will do fine.

I don't know how you would use a guru on a wood fire unless you just started of with great, big pile of embers. Even with that, it seems like you would have a hard time stretching more than four or five hours out of it. I really don't see how you could use it with sticks, as I just don't see how you could get a clean fire.

However, if Adrian has something up and running well, I would very much like to hear about it.

TL
TL,
I did get a charcoal basket made, "just in case". But I'd really like to cook with all wood if I can, and from what I hear you can cook a long time with a Guru, with wood on the offsets. I've sent Shotgun Fred an e-mail with alot of questions about what I want to do. If it's feasible, I may get the Guru. Otherwise, I'll work with the charcoal basket. Either way, I'll keep everyone informed as to what's the best route to go.

I did use the charcoal basket during LuLu's initial burn using the Minion method and I got a burn of around 5+ hours, but I'd like a longer unattended burn if possible. We'll see.........
Old 10-14-2005, 08:23 PM   #24
BBQ Central College

Well i don't see how you can go with all wood for 5 hours without adding and tending,now if you had a smoke house,or a hellova big firebox then maybe you could figure something out,me, i go all wood for as long as i can,say 8 hours and then load up the basket with lump and go to sleep
while the brisket/butt cooks.Everything else is constant tending,which really is the best way.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:20 PM   #25
BBQ Central College

With my charcoal basket i don't care if it's 38 degrees outside or -20,
it's all the same holding temperature,just loose an hour in the wintertime.
When you get an offset, spend your money on an offset,not an addition.
Tradition get someone to teach you cooking with all wood sticks,not the throwin big log method,you won't be walking away using charcoal anymore. =D>
Old 10-15-2005, 06:22 AM   #26
Official BBQ Central Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQmmm
Well i don't see how you can go with all wood for 5 hours without adding and tending,now if you had a smoke house,or a hellova big firebox then maybe you could figure something out,me, i go all wood for as long as i can,say 8 hours and then load up the basket with lump and go to sleep
while the brisket/butt cooks.Everything else is constant tending,which really is the best way.
Well I don't know how either, that is why I'm asking the people at BBQ Guru. But from what I hear, it is indeed possible. We'll see.......
Old 10-15-2005, 10:32 AM   #27
BBQ Central College

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob T
I'm looking to the day I can get a stick burner, but until then....
Even when I do get one, from what I have read, it would still be hard to load it up, and go to work for 12 hours with no worries. Am I reading that right or not? [-o<
It would in reality have to be able to burn for 13 hours for me. I can't wait to get one though.
It's just not going to happpen for 12 hours! You must remember a WSM
has 30 pounds o metal in it's construction,also let's just say it can handle 2- 20 pound turkey's,now any decent backyard offset worth buying will weigh a minimum of 25x the weight of a WSM and cook 6x the meat,now i know some will chime in that they get 6 turkeys on their WSM 's,, don't wanna hear it Now if your getting a 6 hour burn in an offset with say 8-10 pounds of lump,that really means an WSM is
highly inneficient Now burning all wood for 12 hours in an offset is definitely not going to happen,even if anyone could figure out a way,you still have to eat the meat at the end of the cook.Yup when i'm adding wood to my firebox, i think of these things
Old 10-15-2005, 10:37 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQmmm
Now if your getting a 6 hour burn in an offset with say 8-10 pounds of lump,that really means an WSM is
highly inneficient
Huh?? :-k

Old 10-15-2005, 10:39 AM   #29
BBQ Central College

How much meat can you get on an WSM? compared to a 20X48" offset?
Now i'm talking a properly made offset!Don't get me started on BGE efficiency!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-15-2005, 10:40 AM   #30

Oh, I see where you're going... [-X

Closed Thread