BBQ Central Rub

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
BchrisL said:
1/8 cup dry mustard
Oh yea, forgot that one. Chinese dry mustard for the hot heads. Good thinking! :D

You're going to hate me by the time this post is done Chris......................chinise hot mustard made from ordinary "dry mustard"! If you don't believe me, take the dry mustard you have in your pantry and mix a TBS of it with a couple splashes of water. Voila, you have chinese mustard! :shock:

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Pigs On The Wing BBQ":1myj1pq1]Let's make one. I'll start the ingredient List. Might be fun.
1 cup paprika

Not to be a stick in the mud, but I HATE paprika in rubs. It's a waste and too too often used as a filler. It even sucks as a garnish on deviled eggs and potato salad! It adds NOTHING BOY! [/quote:1myj1pq1]

Grocery store paprika buyer! :roll:

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Pigs On The Wing BBQ":15v63qhd]
BchrisL said:
1/8 cup dry mustard
Oh yea, forgot that one. Chinese dry mustard for the hot heads. Good thinking! :D

You're going to hate me by the time this post is done Chris......................chinise hot mustard made from ordinary "dry mustard"! If you don't believe me, take the dry mustard you have in your pantry and mix a TBS of it with a couple splashes of water. Voila, you have chinese mustard! :shock:[/quote:15v63qhd]
It's all good Larry. You know the drill. :LOL:

Finney said:
Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Pigs On The Wing BBQ":1xx4mitr]Let's make one. I'll start the ingredient List. Might be fun.
1 cup paprika

Not to be a stick in the mud, but I HATE paprika in rubs. It's a waste and too too often used as a filler. It even sucks as a garnish on deviled eggs and potato salad! It adds NOTHING BOY!

Grocery store paprika buyer! :roll:[/quote:1xx4mitr]
You might as well scrape the mud off your boot and use that instead of buying grocery store stuff :shock:

Finney said:
Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Pigs On The Wing BBQ":1bpsdkbu]Let's make one. I'll start the ingredient List. Might be fun.
1 cup paprika

Not to be a stick in the mud, but I HATE paprika in rubs. It's a waste and too too often used as a filler. It even sucks as a garnish on deviled eggs and potato salad! It adds NOTHING BOY!

Grocery store paprika buyer! :roll:[/quote:1bpsdkbu]

Amen brother!

Larry Wolfe said:
chinise hot mustard made from ordinary "dry mustard"! If you don't believe me, take the dry mustard you have in your pantry and mix a TBS of it with a couple splashes of water. Voila, you have chinese mustard! :shock:
Basically correct, except there are different varieties of mustard seed with different degrees of heat. The dry mustard Colman's sells is a blend of brown mustard and white mustard flour (emphasis on the white, I believe), which gives it a milder taste. Oriental mustard flour is made from brown mustard seeds, which yields a potent product that goes for the head -- always breathe out through your mouth!

I make our Chinese mustard when we get carry out, using an oriental mustard flour that I got from the Mustard Museum in Mt. Horeb WI. If you have a local oriental market, that would be more convenient. Mix with cold water until you have the right consistency, thinner than a paste, thicker than runny. Let it sit for about 20 minutes to develop its flavor and strength, and use it up within about an hour, after which the flavor and strength deteriorate. If you add vinegar or other acidic liquids, the flavor and strength will be substantially reduced but will last longer. But then it won't be Chinese mustard.

--John
(I drew gasps from my m-i-l last week at P.F. Chang's by applying liberal amounts of Chinese mustard to my lettuce wrap appetizer. She grew up in Indiana, where hot stuff has traditionally been eyed with fear and suspicion.)

Nick Prochilo said:
Finney said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":3f6ibsai][quote="Pigs On The Wing BBQ":3f6ibsai]Let's make one. I'll start the ingredient List. Might be fun.
1 cup paprika

Grocery store paprika buyer! :roll:[/quote:3f6ibsai]

Amen brother![/quote:3f6ibsai]

Untrue, but then again you know where I buy my ingredients. A-holes

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":39vcor4w]
Finney said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":39vcor4w][quote="Pigs On The Wing BBQ":39vcor4w]Let's make one. I'll start the ingredient List. Might be fun.
1 cup paprika

Grocery store paprika buyer! :roll:[/quote:39vcor4w]

Amen brother![/quote:39vcor4w]

Untrue, but then again you know where I buy my ingredients. A-holes[/quote:39vcor4w]

LOL :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom