Barbecue Tour 2007

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
John I went to college in Boone...wish you'd gone to Blowing Rock, 8 miles away for Woodlands BBQ. STill, that Tenn joint looks fabulous.
Dead right about the red roasted stuff called eastern Carolina Q...
glad you nailed it and happy to hear the guy admitted his mistake.

Captain Morgan said:
and really hate to hear that about Hursey's ( http://www.mfbb.net/viewtopic.php?t=33& ... inabbqjoin )

I've never been but I thought they'd put out a better product than
your experience. Everyone has bad days, or maybe they'be gotten
too big and started cutting corners.
I didn't know what to make of the kitchen's seeming indifference, like it was just too routine to bother giving every order the full customer-satisfaction treatment. Also, I was surprised when I tried to talk with the waitress and she really didn't care that we'd made a special trip from VA after finding them closed in March. :(

--John 8)
(I'll give 'em another try when I'm in the vicinity again. I'm betting on the off-day explanation.)

Raine said:
If you go back to Greg's in Statesvilee, might want to see if youcan find out what they are cooking in. There is a Greg's Famous BBQ located in Matthews as well. They cook it in the oven.

The time we stopped at the location in Matthews (not for bbq, but for a meat and 2 sides) the palce was full, and not one person eating bbq.

Also, just down the road a short distance another "bbq" place opened up. We stopped in the new place, and on the menu it read fresh pulled hickory smoke bbq. We asked for a sample, and when the waitress brought the plate we knew we were in trouble. 1. It was not pulled, but sawdust (ran thru a chopper) had all kinds of spices and stuff mixed in it, looked very dry. So, I asked the waitress what they cooked the bbq in.

Her response was on we cook it in the oven. To which I replied, You put wood in your oven? Her answer, Oh, no! We use special seasoning. The 2 ladies that opened the new place, use to work at Greg's in Matthews.

So, you may just want to check it out.
Sounds like it was a stroke of luck that all we had was breakfast! :shock:

--John 8)
(North Carolina should have Q Inspectors with powers to close down bad Q places! :D )

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom