Ban the Guru

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Woodman1

Executive Chef
Now that I have seen a guru in action. I think that they should definitely be BANNED from competition. The damn think kept wakin me up with it's beeping too! They are fine for cooking at home, but my gut tells me that it is not a "fair" or "good" way to make competitive BBQ. Just my $.02.

Woody
I sit on the board of two BBQ Associations (KCBS & WBBQA). The WBBQA helps organize competitions and uses KCBS to sanction them. As someone tht needs to look at the growth of the sport banning the Guru or pellet cookers as examples it would be a step back. What has to be decided is what we are judging, fire control or the finished product.
The thing you can do as an organizer is put teams that run generators or fans can be put together and allow those that are not to be in a quieter area.

Competition BBQ is going to be more inclusive not less. If you look at the best teams out there, the Lotta Bull's, Boy from Toranto Alley, Parrothead, Dizzy Pigs, Pellet Envy we are talking about a lot of different style of cooker. Teams like Parrothead and Pellet Envy would be gone if you start banning fans.

If someone truely believes the pit is the answer then anyone not using that style of pit should be at a disadvantage, it has not been the case.
This reminds me of the garnish issue, you would think there is some big movement to ban it but there is small number of people that are against it.
The fact seem about 40 people or so people are against it that's hardly a majority.

Jim

Airboss said:
The Joker said:
[-( Nope! Not today! [-(

:grin:

Too funny Joker. Tooooo funny. I wondered what your reaction was going to be.
Yeah, well, I said enough yesterday ~ Said too much actually! My appologies to anyone that was offended by my language and especially to BBQmmm.

Joke, were you posting while under the influence of adult beverages yesterday? If so, good on ya! BTW it was 23* when I got up this morning.

Griff

Griff said:
Joke, were you posting while under the influence of adult beverages yesterday? If so, good on ya! BTW it was 23* when I got up this morning.

Griff
Why yes I was and I'll have you know, I was in full control!! :lmao:

23° ~ DAMN! Won't be long! How are the winds in your neck of the woods?
9.gif

Griff said:

Griff

Brrrrr... It was cold here this morning too Griff. I had to wear my cottom shorts when we went for our walk. And a tee shirt with sleeves! I also noticed the palm trees are starting to turn.

Nick Prochilo said:
But AB, how was the summer you just finished?

It wasn't near as "active" as last year Nick, if that's what you mean. In fact, we never had a close call. The southeat (Gulf) side of Florida is historically quiet, save Charlie last year, as you know. Overall, it was Florida normal hot but it was hot in the Adirondacks when we were there this summer too. Seems like it's hot everywhere anymore in the summer.

The upside is I have thyroid disorder the allows me to tolerate max heat. It's the cold that gives me problems although I lived up north for 41 years. Plus, all but one of my kids are still up there as well as the grandgirlz. Tradeoffs my man, tradeoffs.

BTW, you mentioned not wanting to raise your kids here. Was that an education statement? The schools here are not good....not good at all.

Airboss said:
BTW, you mentioned not wanting to raise your kids here. Was that an education statement? The schools here are not good....not good at all.
That was me, Airboss. I know the state is trying to change things but it's a long slow process and my kids are starting school now. Magnet schools and Elementary schools that focus more in math and science are great but more has to be done! Don't hold everyone else back because some parents send their kids to 1st grade that only speak Spanish!! A crash course in English for a year should be in place for non-English speaking children and then let them enter the the regular school system. They also need to start building solid schools and stop putting children in trailers for classrooms! We both know how volatile the afternoon thunderstorms can get there. We were looking into private schooling for ours, and there are many very good private schools in the Orlando area but in the end, Deb wanting to move back to be near her family and that won out. I think we mad the right decission all the way around. :(

The only complaint I could make about our schools here are the taxes! Pretty good schools we have here on the Island. Although, I only have to use them with my last kid 1 more year after this!

Joker: I realized a soon as I reread my stuff it was you, not Nick. My bad.

On the issue of Florida education, your assessment of the situation is spot on. In fact, we are working very hard to convince our school board here in Manatee County to consider a better (any) approach to the needs of a growing Hispanic population and the respective challenges they and we who are not bi-lingual face. These families represent a vital part of the Florida community fabric and an idea such as the one you propose has significant merit, at least in my view.

I realize we are discussing this in the "general" area so we're not in danger of being pinched by the "off topic" police. This section allows members to get acquainted with the broader interests and intellect of others beyond the normal discourse of the BBQ-4-U board.

Which reminds me: I have an appointment with Uncle Beef and Aunt Olive.

:beach:

Nick Prochilo said:
The only complaint I could make about our schools here are the taxes! Pretty good schools we have here on the Island. Although, I only have to use them with my last kid 1 more year after this!

Nick: "...the island" Do you live anywhere near Elmont (Belmont?) My kids learned math skills at Saratoga figuring odds.

Nick Prochilo said:
45 minutes away. Hard to believe, I've never been to a horse race!

Nick! Breeders Cup--10/29! No better venue, save Saratoga, to learn the game. Never been to The Belmont Stakes??? Be still my heart!

Jim, just an opinion. I am not going to actively try and get them banned.If you are going to allow automatic temp control though, you oughtta allow both gas , and electric cookers too. That would be much more inclusive! Woody

ps. the one keeping me awake was from our team so I couldn't get away from it!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom