Baby Back Ribs price

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tannehill Kid

Head Chef
What is a good price on baby back ribs. Don't see um here very often. When you do they are about 10-12 bucks for 1 rack of em. That really sounds high when you can order them in a resturant for about 15-16 bucks and get all the trimmings with em. Just wondering what is a good price.

Stogie said:
Tannehill,

I cook exclusively with BB and have been buying them monthly for the past 12+ years. They have been about the same price the last 5 years it seems. Sam's is the best price by far and I paid $3.84/lb yesterday. That equates to $8.60/slab. (2 1/4 lb. slabs).

Now, if you are trying to compare to a restaurant rib, you have to take into account that most restaurants do not serve 2 1/4 lb. slabs! I think more like under 2 lbs. and maybe even under 1 1/2 lbs. These ribs, in most cases, can only be bought from a meat packer or restaurant supply biz and subsequently are a little pricier on a per pound basis, but they come in the correct size for serving.

I looked at all this stuff when I was going to open a Q joint and I was quite surprised by it. I also came to the conclusion that when opening a Q joint, ribs are NOT your money maker! Locally, I could get away with charging about $18/slab. That is less than a 100% mark-up (not enough!). Whereas, pulled pork and beef sammiches were over 400%.

Anyway, not even sure if this is what you were looking for!
Stogie thanks for the info. You taught me something there.

I bought 2 nice racks for $20.00 yesterday.. They were well worth it too... Freakin yummy stuff. :D

They're normally $4.99/lb around here, but every few weeks one of the grocery chains will run a $2.99/lb special and I stock up. They're name brand (eg - Smithfield) and various sizes. Since they come-in frozen, I just buy a still-frozen case and toss in the freezer - individually in crovac.

Back
Top Bottom