Automobile Electricals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you have any spare 5 gal or smaller white buckets with the lids laying around you pickup a cheap light socket and mount it to the inside of the lid, attach cord about 10 to 15 feet long. It gives off a lot of light with no harshness and the lid seals it from all kinds of weather. Been using them at cooking sites at competitions and we have a number of them for hunting camp. The last one I put together cost about $3.
Jim

Id also go with the ac lights, but if you had your heart set on the headlight idea, Id set it up with the lights hooked up to a car battery with the battery charger on it on low amp setting...kind of redundent though...

If your going to use a light, I recommend a " Rough service bulb " They come in many wattage levels. Regular bulbs blow at just a tap. I just use a flash light. ( 4 D cell mag light ) :!:

jim can you post a pic of one of those, that does sound like a good idea

OK, for those of you that don't know:
squint=slang for lighting guy in the entertainment industry, thus, my nick.

RUN SCREAMING from the car headlights. Your looking at a dangerous nightmare waiting to happen if something gets touched at the wrong moment or if it gets wet, or if the wiring is not rated, or the battery overheats, which it will.....I could go on.

Bare bulbs & sockets are also a little scary when exposed to the elements. Room for issues there.

The tripod floods are probably best for portable use. You can buy eave mounted halogens at home depot if you wish to install.
Low voltage LED ropelight is available at home depot for dim, ambient lighting around the deck, just mount it under the top deck rail.
Ikea makes some line voltage (120 volts) LED puck lights & stick lights that are water resistant (not water proof) that you could use for additional lighting.
If you google LED fixtures, you can generally find some form of sealed unit that can be run off of a battery & does not draw too much current.

Squint/aflatt

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom