Anyone smoke Hams? - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > Corporate Administration > General (Non-BBQ) Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2009, 02:43 PM   #1
Pope O'Que

Anyone smoke Hams?

Anyone here smoke hams for the hollidays? Im lookin to do some but my last one turned out kinda dry. It was pre smoked and spiral cut already. Next time Ill skewer the pieces together or buy one thats not spiral cut. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Member #1462
BBQ ........So easy a caveman could do it.....?

Never look your best friend in the eye while your makin' sausage.
dollarbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:10 PM   #2

wittdog should be along soon. He is Mr. Ham.

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would do them harm."
George Orwell
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:15 PM   #3
Official BBQ Central Mark

Noticed some fresh ones at Tom Thumb just a while ago. Was labled Fresh Leg of Pork Roast and was pumped to 12%. Forget the brand right now (John Morrell maybe) but they was charging .99 a pound which made for a purty hefty final total cuz it was a whopper. Fresh ones like unto that cooks up just like a Fresh Shoulder or its sundry parts. Moderate pit temps 240-250 for the gauge watchers. Plenty of smoke. Sliceable goes to 180-185 making sure it passes the poke test. I dont believe in pushing and pulling hams but suppose a person could go to 195-200 if they want it pullable pushable/mushy etc. Precooked presmoked models like you had last time gets the same basic treatment but they should only go to 160. Fresh models with skin should be cooked about three hours then skinned and rerub the big wet spot. I did one of them precooked sliced variants once upon a time and wound up sticking a couple of metal shiskabob gizmos through it to hold the slices together to prevent the drying out dielemma. That may have been a hot tip from somebody. If so thanks.

bigwheel
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:32 PM   #4
God O'Que

I did a shank end precooked ham on my Performer. I cooked mine indirect with grill temps between 230-260*. I placed the ham in an aluminum pan and when it hit 100* I started basting it with the rendered off liquid every so often till it hit 120* and then started to glaze it about every 5 degrees until it hit 140* then pulled it and let it rest for about 15-20 min. Came out great.
Weber Jumbo Joe
UDS
Weber Q100
Santa Maria Style Grill

John
Vermin999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:15 PM   #5

Well back in the good old days we used to just eat them outta the wrapper. I mean it dont make sense to logical thinking po white trash rednecks to cook an already cooked ham yet again. Now I notice the specimine a person buys nowadays of the selfsame genre has a prominent lable saying "Cook Before Eating" which I guess covers all the bases if some catch a mean old e coli lyseria bug outta that bad boy and decide to sue em etc. Think you will find most all guv'ment health goons tell a person to bring it to 160 most likely higher just to be on the safe side cuz that would help bring about an early demise of some of the unwanted residents. But by all means eating them anywhere along the line a person want to eat em works for me. Now I do think another smoke job in the reheating process do much improve the character of the beastes. Sorry Buck I did not notice you had already thunk of the sckrewers. It also suddenly dawned on me you could prob tie some cotton string around it to keep them slices from flapping in the breeze. Now at least some of the ham tips I was spewing out come from Danny Gaulden. He also has a ham glaze which he uses on ribs and most folks claim to just love. Should taste good on a ham since its an old ham glaze huh? I tried it on ribs a few times and said hmmm..that would taste good on a ham

bigwheel
Old 11-30-2009, 07:46 PM   #6
Graduate of BBQ Central

I cure an smoke my own hams, don't do the store bought ones. But if I was inclined to, I'd smoke fer awhile down in the 140 area fer some extra smoke flavour, if ya need some extra moisture I'd drape it with some fatty bacon, after a couple hours I'd pump the temp upta bout 225 til the internal is bout 150, carry over should take ya the rest a the way. But that just be my two coppers on it.
Familia Partia et Scientia
Family Country and Knowledge
A Smokin business that we growin slow but steady!
GOSM gas smoker
Hillbilly Drum Smoker - (Trident 1)
Fridge Conversion- Used Ta Be Cool - Great fer sausage, Ham, Bacon an Cheese!
Reverse flow tank smoker-buildin it
http://www.hillbillyvittlesllc.com
http://www.oldcoothillbilly.wordpress.com
Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:46 PM   #7
Pope O'Que

Thanks BW!
Member #1462
BBQ ........So easy a caveman could do it.....?

Never look your best friend in the eye while your makin' sausage.
dollarbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:56 AM   #8
Cooker

Shaved Ham

My bride likes her ham shaved and I do it often and freeze it in vacuumed sealed bags for future use.

I use the Cumberland Gap boneless ham and then I set it up in the EZ-QUE and just spin it on the kettle.

I use chunks of cherry wood for my smoke and usually brush on a sweet glaze during the last 30 minutes on the cooker.

I put it thru the slicer and slice it thin for sandwiches and salads.

Comes out nice...

Dave
Old Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:43 AM   #9

Here's a simple and foolproof Butter Rum Ready Cook Ham Recipe.
Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:14 AM   #10

Re: Shaved Ham

Looks mighty yummy Dave. We got hold of a Sysco labled (sure they didnt make it themselves) boneless commercial or institutional food service ham once upon a time. Was the hit of the Thanksgiving meal. Everybody shunned the turkey.

bigwheel

[quote="Old Dave"]My bride likes her ham shaved and I do it often and freeze it in vacuumed sealed bags for future use.

I use the Cumberland Gap boneless ham and then I set it up in the EZ-QUE and just spin it on the kettle.