Anybody know what this is? Make good salsa....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well aint sure where you live at of course..but if you from Texas guessing them be whut is called by many names..chili pequines..chili petines... river peppas (thats whut folks around Austin calls em)...some S. Texas rednecks call em pea peppas for some reason. Yeppers they is hot. On the scale they will hit twixt a hab and jap. They will light you up in other words. I do not particularly like the flavor of that particular peppa so if I was going to make a salsa I would go light on them and use them sparingly to bring up the heat level if you just got to use em for something. Now they is also useful as a test for manhood in the oilfields of S. Texas. Till you strip a branch..blow out the leaves in your cupped hands...chew em up and eat em..without crying or screaming or wanting a drink of water they will not let you be a roughneck. Hope this helps..and sure do hope that is the right peppa I am thinking of here:) Now if you from Joisey...I take all this back. That might be some exotic plant idegenous to your area of which I am unawares etc.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Well aint sure where you live at of course..but if you from Texas guessing them be whut is called by many names..chili pequines..chili petines... river peppas (thats whut folks around Austin calls em)...some S. Texas rednecks call em pea peppas for some reason. Yeppers they is hot. On the scale they will hit twixt a hab and jap. They will light you up in other words. I do not particularly like the flavor of that particular peppa so if I was going to make a salsa I would go light on them and use them sparingly to bring up the heat level if you just got to use em for something. Now they is also useful as a test for manhood in the oilfields of S. Texas. Till you strip a branch..blow out the leaves in your cupped hands...chew em up and eat em..without crying or screaming or wanting a drink of water they will not let you be a roughneck. Hope this helps..and sure do hope that is the right peppa I am thinking of here:) Now if you from Joisey...I take all this back. That might be some exotic plant idegenous to your area of which I am unawares etc.

bigwheel
You hit the nail on the head...chile pequins..They have a great flavor. I use them mainly for "pico de gallo",, tomato,onion,chile pequin,salt, lemon and cilantro...if ya add shrimp then it's called civiche or something like that..your right about adding too many. I put about 7 in 2 weeks ago and me and my wife were crying try to finish the bowl......If you ever what some fresh one's let me know and I can send some.... :)

Well I finally figgered out your roots. Gonna have to check them avators out mo closely next time. I am an old Corpus boy myself. Now speaking of Mejico del Norte...been there many times. Usually just visiting at Papa Guyos etc:) I sorta skeered to go back down there nowadays. They claim to have a bounty out on gringoes down there. I still dont like the flavor of chili pequines. They have an odd after bite which I dont like and can spot a mile off. I much rather enjoy the flavor of a Hab and dont mind some heat as long as I get some flavor. With chili pequines all I get is burnt and a bad taste on the backside. Is there any hope for a person like me?

bigwheel

surfinsapo said:
bigwheel said:

bigwheel
You hit the nail on the head...chile pequins..They have a great flavor. I use them mainly for "pico de gallo",, tomato,onion,chile pequin,salt, lemon and cilantro...if ya add shrimp then it's called civiche or something like that..your right about adding too many. I put about 7 in 2 weeks ago and me and my wife were crying try to finish the bowl......If you ever what some fresh one's let me know and I can send some.... :)

Back
Top Bottom