Anybody have one of these?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

surfinsapo

Master Chef
Bigwheel do you use these? You can save $$$$ for more Yulp Yulp.. ;)

The MacCoupler uses are many and can be used to fill one pound refillable propane cylinders with any 20 to 40 pound propane tank. It's easy and cost effective. Made of solid brass, the MacCoupler will last a lifetime and is a welcome addition to anyones camping gear, tool chest, or their RV or camper.

i512325sq02.jpg

Dont do it. Its a highly dangerous proposition. If you want some little ones go buy some. If you want a big one go get it refilled. Now this come direct from a fella in the propane bizness. He has forgot mo about Propane than any of us could learn about in College. Simple huh? Whut a bunch of cheapie skates we got on here. Refilling the small tanks is sorta like recycling Trojans.

bigwheel

surfinsapo said:
Yeah Yeah Yeah... what is so dangerous about it if it is only liquid?

As a Safety Professional I am obligated to step in it :roll:

The problem is that the cylinder must contain no more than 80% full to allow for expansion. All large cylinders are now refilled by weight so that they contain no more than 80% liquid. The propane will expand with heat and if it is more than 80% full it could rupture and kill everybody on the porch. Liquid doesn't compress and will increase pressure beyond the strangth of the steel.

There is no dip tube in the small cylinders that will alow you to bleed off down to the 80% level and therefore you cannot ensure that is has enough space for expansion.

Now if you were to weigh a full cylinder and an empty cylinder and only fill the empty cylinder to the weight of a full one you would be close.

I would pass.

Yeppers see I tried to tell him all that stuff in an abbreviated gringo version. Hopefully he will listen to you. Thanks for providing the science as to why its not a good idear:)

bigwheel

surfinsapo said:
What is the little relief valve on the side of the little bottles for?

Not trying to be rude. That little valve will open up when the pressure gets too high and vent gas to the hopefully intrinsically safe atmosphere.

I already have this. I guess I will just be a safe person and quit buying the little tanks... :D

SAHOSE6_lg.gif

I had a small problem with an overfilled bqq tank, the pressure broke
the weld while I was cooking, flame shot up about 10 feet in the air.
Luckily I am trained to put out fuel fires and had extinguishers on hand
or that sob would have blown.(young family in the house at the time)
After changing my underware, and having few adult bevies, I swore off propane, now I just use natural gas, off the gas line to my house.
or charcoal.
Just my 2 cents.
Cheers

I'm still not going to do it, but many of the guys on the fishing forum are using them and haven't had any problems at all. Better safe than sorry :D

Back
Top Bottom