Any drag racing fans: Check this out.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ROB O

Senior Cook
Don't know if there's anyone else out there who follows Drag Racing but:

Tony Schumacher just ran the quarter mile in 4.33 seconds with a top speed of 334 mph.

That top speed is the highest top speed in NHRA drag racing history. Any class.

Can you imagine what that must be like?

JamesB said:
Actually he turned a 4.446 at 337.58... That is just freaking unreal, esp. with the gear rules they have this year!

James.

Yep you're right. Can't read my own handwriting.

Man. I remember when sub 5 was a big deal.

Heck if I had a car that would do 0 to 60 in 4.446 I'd be thrilled.

Put things in perspective I'm working hard to get my 0 to 60 under 6.9 and I still fell like I'm going fast!

Man you Texans have all the fun. Best I can do up here is autocross.

Nearest drag strip is all the way down in Southern New Jersey.

I still can't get over that ET. That's about as fast as a Lamborghini, highend Porsche, highe end Ferarri, L06 Vette does 0 to 60. *** Rob shaking head ***

I have my unused High School senior activites ticket that I used to get Gary Beck's autograph in 1983 when he held the record at 5.33. Real nice guy. Got a good pic with him too. That's when these guys were accessible. I remember Garlits going around the old AHRA circuit counting his wins versus Shirley's...Great stuff. Nothin better than a Top Fuel motor cacklin...makes the hair stand up on the back of your neck. Nitromethane rules.

Uncle Bubba said:
I have my unused High School senior activites ticket that I used to get Gary Beck's autograph in 1983 when he held the record at 5.33. Real nice guy. Got a good pic with him too. That's when these guys were accessible. I remember Garlits going around the old AHRA circuit counting his wins versus Shirley's...Great stuff. Nothin better than a Top Fuel motor cacklin...makes the hair stand up on the back of your neck. Nitromethane rules.

That is really cool. You got me nostalgia hunting. Remember this rig?:

http://silverstone.fortunecity.com/bonn ... 18/flshrw/

I'm gonna guess, that's late 1980s based on the wing but truly I have no idea. Whose is it?

Uncle Bubba said:

The bug never leaves you. I used to live in York. There was a track out there on US30. My Dad knew a guy who knew a Superstock racer named Dave Strickler. I was very young but got to go into the garage and watch. I also used to watch from the pits. Gave me a Champion Spark Plug sweat shirt I wore into a rag. Introduced me to Bill Jenkins (deep bow) and I think Jerry Stahl.

Man the smell of that tire smoke. The smell of the fuel when those top fuelers went through.... so sweet....

That must be the connection with BBQ. Top fuel smoke BBQ smoke =P~

Nice reminiscing with you.

I'm finishing up some modifications on my ride in the next 30 days or so. Be sure to have a look. It'll show you what happens to 10 year old kids who hang out at drag strips 30 years later after they have families but never lose the love.

Drag racing has become a rich man's sport. I would love to see what the budget and endorsement deal Force has with Castrol. There is nothing better than the cackling sounds and smell of a Top Fuel motor. Used to love going to Norwalk Raceway in Ohio because you could literally stand so close to the track you could spit on the cars. It was incredible and really kind of scary thinking if one of those motors let go, you're in big big trouble. They have since moved the fence back for insurance reasons I'm sure. Great while it lasted though. 5-6' away from a 7000 HP motor. Man, is that great!!!!!!!

Uncle Bubba said:
Drag racing has become a rich man's sport. I would love to see what the budget and endorsement deal Force has with Castrol. There is nothing better than the cackling sounds and smell of a Top Fuel motor. Used to love going to Norwalk Raceway in Ohio because you could literally stand so close to the track you could spit on the cars. It was incredible and really kind of scary thinking if one of those motors let go, you're in big big trouble. They have since moved the fence back for insurance reasons I'm sure. Great while it lasted though. 5-6' away from a 7000 HP motor. Man, is that great!!!!!!!

Completely true. I know a few guys who used to race back in the 70's. Superstock stuff mostly. To a man they all say the $$$ chased them out. It's all corporate now.

We'll see. I'm seeing interest in local clubs again. SCCA / Porsche club / BMW club. Auto cross mostly but it's a re-start. Still expensive but manageable with a buddy or two. Couple of us are thinking about getting a Mini-Cooper used, modding it and racing with the Porsche guys.

Bob T

Really? I had no idea there was a strip in Lancaster. But I guess I'm not suprised Left York in 72 and that's about the last time I spent any time at a strip.

Just like Uncle Bubba wrote it was great to be that close to the pits. Man that smell from the fuelers...... Turns out it was incredibly carcinogenic though.

Hoping to get down to Englishtown next summer to see what I can coax out of my current ride. Not expecting any track records though. I'd be absolutely thrilled witha 1/4 at 14.75. Anything under 15 would be respectable.

Maybe you could answer a question about Maple Grove though. Is there still a strip there or is it just a track? A few of my friends and I were thinking of heading down there w/the kids.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom