Ancient Peppers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bknox

Head Chef
Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my f
The grocery is selling a pepper I am unfamiliar with but is really nice. They are labeled Ancient Peppers and range in size and shape. I love the flavor but wonder if this something new or just something that has never been produced in a large enough scale to supply stores.

Chile's are a fine thing to get excited about. I didn't intend to bring you down off of your new beloved chile ;)
There are so many varieties out there, and was just saying that they tend to market things to make them more appealing.

You obviously know what you need to know when it comes to chiles. Your Carrot/Hab that you sent me was AWESOME! When are you gunna put that up for sale?

Scotty,

It was refreshing to see peppers like those instead of the typical bells I normally see. I think what struck me was they were at the local grocery and the Sams club. Glad you like the sauce. It may be while before any of those recipes go commercial. It is a bit hot for me so maybe I will post the recipe so you can make any time you want. When I get a minute I will find it and post it on the forum and send it to you in case you miss the post.

Ok Scotty..I hereby nominate you to be the official Chile guru exspurt on here. I can see why they call them in pic ancient cuz they old and ripe. Smart thinnin. Now how come I aint neva heard of this particular chile of which we speak? Do it have any heat? If it has such good flavor how come Pendry's aint peddling it to the chili cooks etc? Thanks. Now if Penderys has it I take all this back of course.

bigwheel

Hi Bryan. I planted some of these peppers last spring. I'm not real familiar with this variety but the plants looked pretty healthy so I decided to try them out. They grew out green in color and very long. After a few weeks they turned deep red. I was expecting some heat but was surprised that they tasted so mild and sweet. We really like these peppers cut up in salads and cooked with eggs, etc. Going to plant more next spring. :D

Back
Top Bottom