ABT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swampsauce

Sous Chef
thinking of making ABT's saturday whilst watching the race. Not a big fan of japs, would poblano peppers work as good? like flavor of japs, not the heat. Yes I 've tried them without seeds, ribs etc. just a wuss! TIA, Tim

Just remember.... an ABT without the Atomic (A) is just a Buffalo Turd (BT).

Why not try the red, orange and yellow Fresno peppers. But to answer your question. Sure Poblanos would work.

Well I like to stuff split bell peppas with Boudan and wrap with bacon. That sorta qualify as some type of sub. I noticed last time at the store they were peddling fresh TAM japs which I think was invented by some Aggie for the Pace Hotsauce folks..so they could have a mild version of the sauce. Flavor of the jap but not the heat. Might check that out too. Be glad when they turn that Aggie loose on habs. Them things are packed with a bunch mo flavor than jap..they also packed with a bunch of extry heat.

bigwheel

Well Ok I was trying to save this till a last straw type event...but I use to know an old boy from up in the Panhandle who grow Japs for a living. Whilst just lounging around the available water hole he would take his super sharp Old Henry and cut off of a fresh Jap a sliver from one of the triangular sides which protrube skyward as it lays flat. Zero heat and taste just like a bell peppa. As long as a person dont bust a vein by going too deep or cut into the seed sack it has the heat level of Tapioca Puddin. Moral of the tale is if a person want the flavor of a Jap without the heat..use a Bell Peppa. That should work. Kindly try it and repoat back when time permits. Thanks.

bigwheel

swampsauce said:
thinking of making ABT's saturday whilst watching the race. Not a big fan of japs, would poblano peppers work as good? like flavor of japs, not the heat. Yes I 've tried them without seeds, ribs etc. just a wuss! TIA, Tim

Hey Pee Dee, If you slice japs. in half the long ways, stuff w/ cream cheese stuffing, then wrap them with one full piece of bacon (per half pepper) the heat of the pepper will be cooked out in the oven or smoker. oh man they're soooo goooood!

swampsauce said:

The lower and slower you cook em the more mild they will become.

P.S. What's wrong with a little colon cleanse every now and then.

Well yall preaching to the choir on this deal. I use just regular old japs split and scooped out good. Have a chili head DIL so I always save her some unscopped version...knock out a few seeds maybe. The 2 yr grand chillins eat the scooped models with no problemo. In fact it nearly impossible to find a decently hot jap these days. One time I made a bunch and everybody pigged out and had done lost the appetite time the main event come along. Or maybe the brisket was a little creosotely infested. Who knows?

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom