A pot of chili on a winter day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

big dude

Sous Chef
Making 20 quarts of chili today for us and some neighbors who buy it. Has ground round, tomatoes, 4 different beans, onion, sweet pepper, beef broth, and spices. Sapo - cost us $3.80/qt to make it.

007bond-jb said:
Kinda like a version of Wendy's chili?

OUCH :LOL: I need a stick-your-tongue-out at him emoticon. ;)
Made with my homemade chili powder from home grown & dried ancho and paprika peppers. Having a bowl right now - not bad for a Wendy's clone. Heck, maybe even a little better.

big dude said:
Making 20 quarts of chili today for us and some neighbors who buy it. Has ground round, tomatoes, 4 different beans, onion, sweet pepper, beef broth, and spices. Sapo - cost us $3.80/qt to make it.

Cool deal BD. It really looks good. I could use a bowl right now. I going consession style on my big cook. I mean reheat.. :D

How about the measurements ? :D

I am looking for a good and tested recipe. Sometimes those two are hard to find in the same recipe. ;)

Well Big Dude..I sure help you knock a hole in some of that stuff on a kewlish Tennessee evening. Looks good. Now I dont know where this Wendy's Chili thang come up. Are you using leftover grilled hamburger patties or anything like that? That is whut we call Wendy's chili in this part of the world. In fact cooked with some folks who started out by firing up the charcoal grill to make patties..to be used to make chili. It was good..barely beat em by just a few places:)

bigwheel

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="007bond-jb":2c9adjl0]Kinda like a version of Wendy's chili?

I'll tell ya what, Wendys chili is pretty darn good if you ask me![/quote:2c9adjl0]

I didn't mean its bad. I like Wendy's chili too. They use more that one kinda bean like BD did. I'll bet with fresh chili it kicked a$$ BD...

img_177114_0_62835131e51de3bd55a09f29e8d7f24e.jpg

Mmmm, that does look good.

Reminds me of my own, but you're inspiring me to try using something more than pintos. Secret ingredients in mine are chopped green chilies (Old El Paso) and a little jalapeno salsa (La Victoria).

--John
(I can never figure out what's with the meat puree they make for chili competitions.
303.gif
Make mine with distinct, identifiable chunks, please.)

Don't know zilch about ICS but CASI is just about strictly all ground meat nowadays..no chunks. Least that whut somebody tole me who was supposed to know about such stuff. Saves a lot of work for the cook will ghurantee. We had some good friends who were CASI cooks from way back and she claim it take 4 hrs to cut the meat. Each cube was measured with a ruler etc. Now I can also see how it would be easier to mark a cup with chunks. They are paranoid about marked cups. That is why they don't allow any chunks or floaters..speaking veggies here. One jap seed found in there and they kick it quicker than a minner can swim a dipper. Thats why most of the serious folks use powders instead of chopped veggies. Now beans would get a person lynched in that crowd:)

bigwheel

Well glad yall understand each other..shot plumb over my haid..and I ain't even a blonde. Was a red headed Irishman..or Goose as some might say... for a while and then it turned gray...then it turned loose:) I feel your pain on the loss of chunked up chili meat if that happen to be the topic. That is eggxactly why Texas Chili Associaton allow either chunked or pureed meat or any combo thereof which might placate the whims of the cook. We is here specifically to cater to disillusioned yankmes:) It just best look highly similar to everybody elses chili or I look over at the warden and give her a thumbs down. Then it goes in the trash. See whut I'm trying to say here? If it have noodles in the shape of Okiehoma in there it aint gonna make the cut. Not sure how I could make it any plainer.

bigwheel

Well since I sit down personally and watch Texas Tech kick the Okie Coola over the goal post I still dont understand how all that stuff works. Hopefully the messiah...aka... Prez Osama can work it out and give us some kiinda fair and eqitable playoff schedule for the College Boys. I mean I heard this one lady on the radio say since he got elected she wouldn't have to make car or house payments etc. I'm ready for total socialized medicine. If the guv'ment give me and the warden some free Blue Cross I could have reitred 20 years ago.

bigwheel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom