A new addition to the smoke shack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill The Grill Guy

Master Chef
My boss said yesterday that he had an old fridge in his garage that he wanted to get rid of. He said it works great and is ready to go. Well, I went over this morning to take a look and ended up brining it to its new home. Now I just need to fill it up with beer and Q. :D

Smoke Shack:

frigidaire

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
Hokey Smokes. That's a old puppy! Is it a GM Frigidaire? That thing will make your electric meter spin REAL fast! :LOL:

Uh oh, better delet this post before the wife sees it. Yep, its a GM Firdidaire.

I'm serious Bill. That thing is a energy hog. Don't be surprised when you get the electric bill. The price of your cold bevreges just went up! :LOL: That 60s vintage stuff is tough on electric.

That fridge looks just like the one I have in my garage for beer! (Larry's going home to make sure it's still there)!

BTW, my electric bill just went down $27 a month with the fridge plugged in! :D

I had one older too, It would keep the beer just right. When the defrost element went out I bought a new frig. I had ajust a setting on the stat that only a appliance tech knows about to get the frig section as cold as the old one. I'm not talkin bout the ajustments you see when the door is open.
There is another one on the stat that ajust how cold the coldest setting really is. It is ajusted with a small scewdriver

YEA JB, The same screw driver you use on mechanical oven T-stats and infinite switches too? Works good on gas valves to lower or raze the simmer too. HAY BOY! Quit giving out union trade secrets! :LOL: ;)

ZBQ said:
I have an older fridge in the garage and I found out that since the garage isn't heated in the winter that the freezer doesn't work right when it gets down below freezing. I lost quite a bit of food a couple of years ago when I found this out. [smilie=a_doh.gif]

It works fine other than that.

A friend of mine said that the older fridges used a different coolant than they do today and that is why it won't freeze at lower temps.

Not sure if what he said is actually true or not.

Might want to check on that before you put a bunch of Q in the freezer over the winter, unless your shack is heated that is.
I was there for the change over from good old Dupont R-12 to the new R-134A . Every winter the company would get calls from a home owner that there garage refrigerator had a problem and needed service. Hokey Smokes what a ordeal that was trying to explain to a customer that it won't work right in a cold environment. Deep freezers too! Some poor dude would buy a side of beef and put it in the garage freezer only to find it had gone bad. I sure as HELL don't miss those day's! Hay JB, remember those Jap rotary compressors? :LOL: Thanks Whirlpool for all the dough we made on warranty.

ssshhhhhHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you hear that?.... I think I hear Bill's electric meter spinning! ;) :LOL:

I think a lot of reason them old fridges eat electric is because they are in bad shape from years of use. I have an old GM fridge in our garage... I have never noticed much of a difference in the electric bill. Just keep it clean, blow the dust outta the coils and underneath regularly and keep some good air space around it. Them old fridges usually sat out by themselves in the old kitchens... they weren't designed to be stuck between cabinets and have stuff right up to the sides up them.

Also...Maybe it's just me...but I find an empty fridge and freezer uses more electric then a full one. Even if you don't have food or drink in i t...keep it full of jugs of water....freezer and fridge.

Bill The Grill Guy said:
My boss said yesterday that he had an old fridge in his garage that he wanted to get rid of. He said it works great and is ready to go. Well, I went over this morning to take a look and ended up brining it to its new home. Now I just need to fill it up with beer and Q. :D

Smoke Shack:

frigidaire

If it's brined like Bill said, It will hardly use any electric! :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom