a cup or 2 of cola in the crock pot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ikissedher

Washing Up
I've got a pork shoulder roast for making pulled pork and my sister told me to put a cup of cola in the crock pot with it. Anyone ever heard of this?

Also has any one ever heard of people putting coleslaw on a pulled pork sandwich?

Deli up the street uses Root Beer for crock pork. They put the the slaw on the side in a small cup. So ya can chuck it on if ya want. I like slaw on my Sammy.

Same here on the slaw. I like KFC. Have seen and followed quite a few recipes over the years calling for coke as the liquid ration for braising roasts and such stuff. Got an old chum that faithfully soaks steaks in it before grilling. Not sure it helps it much but dont hurt it a bit. Now Pepsi makes it taste real funny. Dont use that. Black coffee works good too.

lots of folks use colas for cooking large pieces of meat, including
brisket.

And just about everyone in the south puts slaw on a bbq sandwich...I'm guessing
you're not from the south?

Captain Morgan said:
lots of folks use colas for cooking large pieces of meat, including
brisket.

I live in Wisconsin. The south scares me.

bigwheel said:
Same here on the slaw. I like KFC. Have seen and followed quite a few recipes over the years calling for coke as the liquid ration for braising roasts and such stuff. Got an old chum that faithfully soaks steaks in it before grilling. Not sure it helps it much but dont hurt it a bit. Now Pepsi makes it taste real funny. Dont use that. Black coffee works good too.

Jeff, Didn't Billy (Belly) use Dr Pepper on his briskets? Know I'm going back a spell on this one.

Yeppers he sure did use the Dr. Pooper marinate. Swear he had the grand prize winning brisket at Meridian the first year we ever cooked with him, Mz Suzie and Jack Hunter. We was supposed to be helpers but somebody winded up getting me tipsy on Ezra and coke..so wasnt much help:) Only drawback on the brisket was it had not a smoke ring at all. Some folks claim you dont need one but I kindly disagree especially in that always tough crowd. If I was contemplating any type of marinate I would give it the TQ treatment before proceeding into the process. I googled up whut I believe is the authentic version and will post it over in the recipe section.

Starring_Emma said:
[quote="Captain Morgan":1pm46ys8]lots of folks use colas for cooking large pieces of meat, including
brisket.

I live in Wisconsin. The south scares me.[/quote:1pm46ys8]
I guess you don't watch Green Bay games - men with styrofoam cheese on their heads and women (large) removong their tops when the temp is below 0'.

Starring_Emma said:
I've got a pork shoulder roast for making pulled pork and my sister told me to put a cup of cola in the crock pot with it. Anyone ever heard of this?

Also has any one ever heard of people putting coleslaw on a pulled pork sandwich?
I used to have a customer who used coke on brisket (she said it was her "Jewish-Mothers" recipe); she brough me a sample of it and it was really good. Never heard of it on pork though. Give it a try!

Back
Top Bottom