A big dilema........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puff1

Chef Extraordinaire
Not BBQ related but a dilema nonetheless.
My daughter planted these sunflowers from seed in the spring. She has watched them grow and taken great care to make sure they will sprout the "new seeds" and the flower. The problem we've had in the past with growing these is the rats with bushy tails. (Otherwise known as squirrels)
They seem to monitor when the flowers are blooming and the seeds are ripe. Then they proceed to jump off any solid area and break the tops off.
These are very special to my daughter. If anyone has a scare tactic(Other than firearms..my choice, explosives) or any other urban way of keeping these creatures from ruining her favorite flower PLEASE let me know.

Larry go to .... :LOL:
Nick you too....but my Grandma used to use netting on her fruit trees to keep the birds away. I think it was like a cheese cloth?? Not sure :? She put them on her berry bushes too.(Don't even :LOL: )
WD I think it's too late for a trap......this is the "hood " of squirrels :shock: Countless #'s of them :shock:

I've seen people put plastic owls out. But I think it was for bats or some other winged devil :?
Guys I really don't want my daughter's heart to break........there has to be something............. :?

I could hang pics of Larry but that would scare all the wildlife within a 5 mi. radius :shock:(But what about the crack pics?? Hmmmm :idea: )

Just a suggestion we use rebar to stake our tomatoes with maybe next year plant away from the roof line.

I think the trap idea is a good one.

Wonder how squirrel tastes smoked>>>/??

You're screwed, Puff. Tree rats love sunflower seeds, and they'll keep gettin' to them almost no matter what you do. I fought squirrels for a couple years trying to keep 'em off the bird feeders. (I won, but my solution won't help for sunflower plants.) Only thing I can think of is to build a well-anchored enclosure for the plants out of rebar and expanded metal. :(

--John 8)

Buy her a 22 and teach her the laws of nature...only the strong survive. [smilie=rlp_smilie_312.gif]

You could use the seeds as bait then pick 'em off one at a time and put some rub on them and smoke 'em. The seeds that are left can be saved for next year and tell her to find a competant adult to put them some place where the squirrels can't get to them. She can save next years' seeds and keep planting...kind of a heirloom-type thing.

Thanks for all the answers everyone. I didn't think the damn things would get so tall that's why she planted them there. She's been outside 4 times this morning chasing them away. (A losing battle) I think nature is just going to take it's course we'll see.

Now that sounds good JB.

Bryan I've heard of that spray. But it might keep the bees away too, not good.
Maybe some chicken wire...hmmm :scratch

The key here is to distract her attention from the problem at hand.....plant a sure fire, no fail crop of LOLLIPOPS!

I do it with my own kids every year....so far <knockonwood> they haven't caught on yet.

In your garden, or flower bed or even in a planter box...plant some lollipop seeds.....M&M's or SKITTLES etc...

Spend a few times during the next week pulling whatever weeds grow and go over the care needed for growing crops responsibly.

Torwards the end of week while youngins are in bed ,place small lollipops in the dirt in a row...use the toddler style ones with the loop style stick/handle.

A few more days of weeding and watering, replace again with small lollipops....about the size of the ones you get at the bank.

Let them pick one or two along the way to sample thier crop and instruct on the values of proper care and not harvesting ALL too soon.

Next round you replace with a little larger ones..the ones that the lollipop is about the size of a pop can top....make a huge deal of how big they are and how good they did and then give them the option of harvesting them ALL then.... if they choose to pick them ALL then...quickly convince them to leave at least ONE to see what happens.

A few days later after a bit more care...... replace whatever they have left with a huge swirly style "All Day Sucker" type pop...the ones that are about 10-12 inches in diameter.

My kids haven't caught on quite yet.... but they are now smart enough to only pick one lollipop a week and leaving the rest for thier Bumper Crop in the end!

I reccommend this to anyone and everyone with kids whenever I get a chance...it's a blast! My grampa did it with me and I still have GREAT memories of it....cool tradition to pass along...hope ya'll give it a try.

Pennies pushed into the tops of acorn caps thrown around the yard is another good one to keep the kids interested in some type of yard care. You'd be amazed on how much interest they have in raking acorns when they find a few pennies here and there.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom