!@#$^#%^%@$!%

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Burnt Food Dude said:
My brisket temp went down from 162 to 158 in the last hour. WSM is holding a constant temp of 140.
Well, there's your problem! :eek:

Burnt Food Dude said:
Sorry, I was finger tied. Its supposed to be 240 degrees.
Well.......OK then... :razz: :razz:
This happens from time to time in butts too. Often, the connective tissue breakdown and the rendering of the fat causes the therm readings to retreat...Sometimes, it's that there's a hollowing in the meat where the therm is. Next time you have to go in there, move the therm to a new spot and see what the reading is.

(Damn you Bryan!! :!: :!: )

The Joker said:
[quote="Burnt Food Dude":hm74of7f]Sorry, I was finger tied. Its supposed to be 240 degrees.
This happens from time to time in butts too. Often, the connective tissue breakdown and the rendering of the fat causes the therm readings to retreat...Sometimes, it's that there's a hollowing in the meat where the therm is. Next time you have to go in there, move the therm to a new spot and see what the reading is.

(Damn you Bryan!! :!: :!: )[/quote:hm74of7f]

Doug D.????? Is that you???? You're using Bill's computer you sneaky devil! Got any coupons??

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="The Joker":2vjlj65g][quote="Burnt Food Dude":2vjlj65g]Sorry, I was finger tied. Its supposed to be 240 degrees.

(Damn you Bryan!! :!: :!: )[/quote:2vjlj65g]

Doug D.????? Is that you???? You're using Bill's computer you sneaky devil! Got any coupons??[/quote:2vjlj65g]
:lmao: :lcry: :lmao: :lcry: :lmao: :lcry: :lmao:

You have no clue, do you??!! #-o

The Joker said:
[quote="Burnt Food Dude":1t9dv3b8]Sorry, I was finger tied. Its supposed to be 240 degrees.

(Damn you Bryan!! :!: :!: )[/quote:1t9dv3b8] Your kidding, Right? What person would depend on a thermometer than know there pit? Cooking butts and briskets, Is like night and day. Learn how to use your pit in the first place! I see a problem with folk who try to do Wonder Q with no experance. Got a WSM, A Guru, Thermometers, A ton of foil, Where did I go wrong? Simple fact is, You didn't know every WSM or pit runs the same or not the same.(there not!) YOU make the choice on how you want it to run, And how you run it. Going for meds now. :)

OK...Pigs, According to the Boss, you're / your not restricted from the blue room...Go there now.....
:horse: :badpoke: :horse: :badpoke: :horse:

The Joker said:
OK...Pigs, According to the Boss, you're / your not restricted from the blue room...Go there now.....
:horse: :badpoke: :horse: :badpoke: :horse:

No foil, gurus, or brine is allowed in the blue room!!
:pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop:

Bryan S said:
[quote="Burnt Food Dude":3p13r6h7]158 was the lowest it hit. Then it slowly went up. Foiled at 170. Yes i used the crutch on my first brisket. Now I'm going to wait about 2 hour to check the temp. WSM went up to 245 by itself.

Looks like my first brisket is heading down the right path after a shakey start.
BFD, Glad to hear all is well. Don't listen to the drunk. Foil is a very usefull tool in REAL BBQ. :grin:[/quote:3p13r6h7]

This is only true when brining and using pop up timers.

It can be OK BFD ... I bet you have a great breakfast even if they might be falling apart.

I cooked two briskets Friday night and they were my best yet. Really good, fork tender and very moist, nice smoke ring, Texas BBQ Rub #2 (Brisket Blend), 1 mesquite + a couple hickory.

The cook was pretty crappy though ... I lost a total combined of 23 degrees internal temp before I stopped counting. I cooked them fat cap down. Made sure they didn't dry out on the WSM (basted once with oil mixed with BBQ sauce), turned off the ET-73 and went for fork tender taking a peek every hour and checking with the fork at the end. Cook ended up being 17 hours including finish in foil in the oven for one hour at 275F then rested one hour.

The problems: I didn't start the Minion method with enough lit briquette leftovers + a full brinkmann pan meant that 4 hours went by before I got to 210 pit temp. When I got up 5 hours after that is was only 215F. Later on I had to leave unexpectedly but was going to run out of fuel ... dumped in unlit and ended up tanking my temps again for a couple more hours. Strong wind gusts came up as well

Ya know in my own defense it been over a year since I used Kingsford. :grin:

In conclusion: don't sweat a few degrees

This is like me making fun of Finney for working at Freightliner...which he doesn't...which brings me to my point...it wasn't MY bean recipe that put me in the hospital...ok! It was the mere sight of texas Hottie 2 that made my hear stop! :eek:

Back
Top Bottom