WSM smoke to grill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pete1

Assistant Cook
I recently got a 18.5 WSM and would like to make some changes to use it as a grill. I have a gas grill but it does not get hot enough to grill a good steak. I like the charcoal better anyway.

My plan is to use flashing or some other thin gauge metal to form a spacer to set on the lip where the water pan or lower grill sets. I will then use bolts or something support the charcoal grate in different positions. Or, I might just let the grate sit on the "spacer".

My goal is to get the charcoal closer to the grill.

Any thoughts or ideas?

I would go with the egg, all you would have to get would be a lower grate. Basically you would have a bigger version of the Smokey Joe.

Big Dave stuck a lot of cash and many dust collectors into the pocket of his bib over hauls grilling on his unmodded Brinkmann Gourmet clone..in the chicken contest. Just put a healthy sized fire in the regular old hole and cook on the top rack. Use the palm counting mississippiis if you like to know temps. Use the lid if you want. He say Kingsford briquttes Mesquite Flavor is the cats meow. Now it stinks to me..but I know what real Mesquite is supposed to smell like. If a Brinkmann can do it..the Brinkmann with the fancy paint job should be up to the task also. Should work the same for dead cows and pigs.

Last edited:
I don't remember exactly what I did to use my WSM as a grill, but it was simple and cheap. It's been so long and the memory is the second thing that you lose.:(
I might have just made a couple of (3?) clips that fit over the rim of the bottom section, or maybe I set the grate on the bolts where the water pan was supposed to go. I didn't drill any holes and it was very easy to switch from grill mode to smoker mode and back again.

BOB
will the grate sit on the water pan bolts?

Just put the grate on the bottom section to cook on. The cover can go over the whole shooting match and it will cook close enough, like a kettle.

Just put the grate on the bottom section to cook on. The cover can go over the whole shooting match and it will cook close enough, like a kettle.

I looked at that possibility. That would certainly get the grill close enough to the coals which is what I am looking for.

I would just like to be able to raise the grate closer to the top of the unit. If I don't come up with something, I will try that.

Thanks

Being a good ways from the fire is good not bad. Why you want to be so close? Thanks. This providing you got enough fire to keep the temps up of course. Now for somebody who likes being close close..seem to have somebody speak of laying the meat direct on the coals. Forget who that was right now.

Sometimes I try to make things to complicated before I fully check things out.

I just leave the grate where it is and set the grill on top of the charcoal ring and put the top on the bottom part. I have to set it on a table and the top doesn't fit perfectly but it works pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom