WSM mods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nick Prochilo said:
Puff said:
[quote="The Joker":2y5souvk][quote="The Joker":2y5souvk]
Finney said:
[quote="Jeff E":2y5souvk]Nice post Finney. I like the idea of drilling a hole for the Guru so the original dampers are all still functional. I may have to do that myself.
Where are you going to drill the hole in your kettle for the Guru adapter?
Also, I'm glad to hear that you haven't actually cooked with the WSM in the pictures. It's much shinier than mine. :D

Well I talked with Fred about that and he said that as long as the adapter was mounted above the charcoal grate, it could go almost anywhere. My plan is to mount it on one of the sides, probably the same side that has lever for the ash catcher. Not exactly sure yet, that's why I didn't do it when I did the WSM.
Chris, I'm curious about the "above the charcoal grate" reference Fred made ~ Can you elaborate?

Tks, Bill
Well, I’m guessing it’s because the grate and/or charcoal on the grate would help disperse the airflow from the adapter thus creating air currents throughout the kettle but since I can’t get the answer here, which doesn’t surprise me in the least, I’ll call Fred or Bob at the BBQ Guru tomorrow morning to get the details.

Thanks anyway…[/quote:2y5souvk]
What do you mean you can't get the answer here :eek:
The amount of info I have learned here is amazing :!:
Maybe you should dig a little deeper :)[/quote:2y5souvk]

And deeper & deeper &..........[/quote:2y5souvk]
Man that waters cold :!:

Puff said:
Nick Prochilo said:
Puff said:
[quote="The Joker":1rjf2bbu][quote="The Joker":1rjf2bbu]
Finney said:
[quote="Jeff E":1rjf2bbu]Nice post Finney. I like the idea of drilling a hole for the Guru so the original dampers are all still functional. I may have to do that myself.
Also, I'm glad to hear that you haven't actually cooked with the WSM in the pictures. It's much shinier than mine. :D

Well I talked with Fred about that and he said that as long as the adapter was mounted above the charcoal grate, it could go almost anywhere. My plan is to mount it on one of the sides, probably the same side that has lever for the ash catcher. Not exactly sure yet, that's why I didn't do it when I did the WSM.
Chris, I'm curious about the "above the charcoal grate" reference Fred made ~ Can you elaborate?

Tks, Bill
Well, I’m guessing it’s because the grate and/or charcoal on the grate would help disperse the airflow from the adapter thus creating air currents throughout the kettle but since I can’t get the answer here, which doesn’t surprise me in the least, I’ll call Fred or Bob at the BBQ Guru tomorrow morning to get the details.

Thanks anyway…
Maybe you should dig a little deeper :)[/quote:1rjf2bbu]

And deeper & deeper &..........[/quote:1rjf2bbu]
Man that waters cold :!:[/quote:1rjf2bbu]

Then take your hands out of it!

The Joker said:
[quote="The Joker":2olbyg9m]
Finney said:
[quote="Jeff E":2olbyg9m]Nice post Finney. I like the idea of drilling a hole for the Guru so the original dampers are all still functional. I may have to do that myself.

Tks, Bill[/quote:2olbyg9m]

Thanks anyway…[/quote:2olbyg9m]
Geez, sorry I didn't get to you sooner. I somehow missed your first email and then when I saw it I tried to upload some pics but ephotohut wasn't working.
You want it above the grate so that when you are cooking with a direct setup some of the air will hit the coals and some will go under the grate coming up through the coals. When cooking indirect you want the coals on the opposite side. The air goes through and under the grate coming up through the lit coals. You can mount it almost anywhere.

The Joker said:
[quote="The Joker":22hi2gxw]
Finney said:
[quote="Jeff E":22hi2gxw]Nice post Finney. I like the idea of drilling a hole for the Guru so the original dampers are all still functional. I may have to do that myself.

Tks, Bill[/quote:22hi2gxw]

Thanks anyway…[/quote:22hi2gxw]

jeeez, mister sensitive!

Nick Prochilo said:
Puff said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":3ga0ta5d]
Puff said:
[quote="The Joker":3ga0ta5d][quote="The Joker":3ga0ta5d]
Finney said:
[quote="Jeff E":3ga0ta5d]Nice post Finney. I like the idea of drilling a hole for the Guru so the original dampers are all still functional. I may have to do that myself.

Tks, Bill

Thanks anyway…
Maybe you should dig a little deeper :)[/quote:3ga0ta5d]

And deeper & deeper &..........[/quote:3ga0ta5d]
Man that waters cold :!:[/quote:3ga0ta5d]

Then take your hands out of it![/quote:3ga0ta5d]
And it's deep too :eek:

IMG_0099.JPG

IMG_0100.JPG

IMG_0101.JPG

I STAND CORRECTED :)