Who is using a steel drum with a sealed lid for UDS?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

92hatchattack

Senior Cook
Is this even possible?

For any of you that are using this setup how did you get the lid off, and what are you using as a lid now? Will any type of lid (like a kingsford) fit right on top without any modification?

I hope someone can chime in on this, as i have just found a source of 55 gallon drums in like new condition, with no liners for only $20 each!

Thanks guys!

---Joe

Air chiesel be easiest followed up by a angle grinder ta smooth it out. Hand chiesel will work just more work. Sawzall with a metal blade to.

Drums do run in different sizes, but with minor modifications a weber lid will fit many an so should the kingsford one. Use a aluminum ring on my open top drum an the weber lid fits great.

Ain't all that hard ta do.

I have knocked the tops out of solid top barrells using a hatchet and a hand sledge hammer. Worked purty good. Not a chore for your prized hatchet of course. Old rusty one works well. Open it up like a can of sardines.

bigwheel

^^^ Hey thanks. I had read through your thread earlier but must have missed the part where you said yours were sealed. Good to know as your uds came out great!

92hatchattack said:
^^^ Hey thanks. I had read through your thread earlier but must have missed the part where you said yours were sealed. Good to know as your uds came out great!

Make sure you keep us updated on your build..!!!

Mine will be a slow one, as i dont live where the smoker will be, so it may take me 3-4 weeks to finish it since i may only get a few hours on it here and there.

I did have one question for you though. Were you able to resolve the issue you were having with the fit of your lid?

92hatchattack said:
Mine will be a slow one, as i dont live where the smoker will be, so it may take me 3-4 weeks to finish it since i may only get a few hours on it here and there.

I did have one question for you though. Were you able to resolve the issue you were having with the fit of your lid?

Yes.. I took the angle grinder and took a few quick passes around the outer rim of the drum. It fits nicely now... leaks a little smoke, but only when the bottom vent is wide open. I can still hold rock steady temps and can snuff out lit coals as soon as I shut down all the vents.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom