Watcha Pit Look Like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Max1

Head Chef
So lets get some pics of everyone's pits.

Here is my Brinkmann Trailmaster Limited.
trailmaster.jpg

And my UDS.
25.jpg

I will post the others when I take some pictures.

Photobucket is acting up, or I'd post a couple of pictures.

My main smoker is in my Avatar. Sometime soon, I'll try to get a picture of my new Monster pit.

BOB

Kindly give us some pros and cons on Stumps vs BWS. Thanks. Now the gravity fed charcoal tube seems like a good idea. In fact at one time was considering infringing on some patents and putting one on the direct cooking section of Fred. Not sure when that good idea was forgotten.

Kindly give us some pros and cons on Stumps vs BWS. Thanks. Now the gravity fed charcoal tube seems like a good idea. In fact at one time was considering infringing on some patents and putting one on the direct cooking section of Fred. Not sure when that good idea was forgotten.

Having never OWNED a Backwoods, I'm not sure I can give a true comparisom.

I have cooked on Backwoods, though, and compared to the Stump's, the Backwoods felt "flimsey". No, not flimsey like those cheapies in Wally World, just not like it would last as long.:(

Also, I don't like the water pan. It's a pain to keep water in it if that's the way you plan to use it. It's also a pain to keep clean whether you use foil or not. Also, I didn't like the sliding air control inlets. They jiggled around, and if we were set up near the train tracks (there must be a LAW...competitions MUST be near trains!:(:confused:), the vibrations can change your settings.

The Stump's are a true "offset" smoker. Your heat and smoke comes in from the side and the bottom. There's a deflector plate to distribute the heat fairly evenly. It takes just a couple of hours to figure out how to use the ball valve and control your temperature.

BOB

Ok thanks. Noticed the BWS's have some cheesy lookng grates and the funky fixed water pan with a pipe up the middle seems totally goofy. Not sure what the injuneer who invented that scenario may have been huffing on for inspiration.

Very nice. Those wheel bearings need packing once a year whether they need it or not. Also no bearing buddies. Those are designed to burn up wheel bearings. Roof would be a nice touch so the cookie no get wet..lol.

img_254287_1_c0353db93ebbbd3f1f110b941015d9b6.jpg

That's what I used to have. I sold the Copper and the Black Stump's Babies so that I could buy a Stump's Monster. The Monster is sitting there in the shop, waiting for me to go pick it up.

Thanks bbquzz and bigwheel
That is a nice collection you have Bob
This is the first pit that I built it is a 250 gal. R.F.

img_254294_0_b4fa8d6b893f2eba9228f4af0316edd6.jpg

Logtrucker, I think you have me by volume. I love reverse flow pits if I gotta cook on a "Log Hog". ;)

Actually, all 3 of the smokers in the center of the picture were sold so I could buy the Monster (that I haven't even seen yet :( ). I sold the one in the back to a restaurant right around the corner from me.

Anybody up for a ROAD TRIP from Orlando to the center of Georgia?

BOB

Yes you are right Bob they are log hogs and they really like to be attended to but the end result is worth it

Know a bunch who would tend to agree with you on the offsets producing the best flavor. Not sure it can be duplicated in the tight running uprights. Now the reverse flow thing dont make a lick of sense to us non injuneer types. I have a pal who had one who say the longways flat plate heat up like a cast iron skillet and dry bake the goods above. He had a two rack set up and the one closest to the hot plate was not useable. He was not impressed and got rid of it quick. Give some input here. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom