UDS Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dave's Q-eating brother

Assistant Cook
I have been following the posts on drum smokers and have a question that I hope someone can answer. The posts refer to a "food" quality drum. Why? I see a number of people have built smokers out of old fuel tanks. Cleaning them by "burning" them clean. I have a number of drums that had automotive grade oils, hydraulic, motor, transmission, etc., in them. The question is why is it ok to use a fuel tank that held fuel oil, but not a drum that held oil? Why will one burn out clean but the other will not?
Thanks
Vince.

In my opinion, I wouldn't use a fuel tank or a drum that has previously held automotive grade oils to cook food in. Just not worth the risk.

Thanks for the reply! Thats the reason for the question. Some say propane or old fuel tanks don't make any difference, and I'm wondering if residue left in the tank, drum, bottle, or whatever is harmful. Seems like it would be. The last thing I would want to see was some poor unsuspecting person flopping on the ground doing the gator after eating something off of one of these grills! Thought that someone might know a little more than what I've seen posted. Again thanks for the reply.

Your welcome and welcome to the forum. A good rule always is to follow your own common sense, which I think you've done here.

For the cooking of food, I prefer Virgin vessels! :LOL:

Some of it come down to what was in it.

My drums had cooking oil in them. The lining was a very thin rust inhibitor. It burned off real easy. No black smoke, no nasty anything going on when I set it ablaze except for the smell of the paint burning off on the outside. That was nasty.

I built one a couple of months ago that had been used for holding peaches. The lining in it was different. It was almost like an epoxy paint. That stuff was very difficult to burn off. I built two big fires in it and the lining still did not all come off.

I figured that what ever was left would be baked on and after one cook would be covered with the shiny black finish that bbq puts on the inside of all smokers.

I would not use a drum that has had anything but food items in it. I would rather have new but will settle for food grade.

Well if used fuel tanks hurt anybody by cooking on em..there is sure a bunch of folks walking around in the world who should be daid. I vote it be just fine. On the firegrate question I aint sure the eggxact size but you could measure it and go to Home Depot and buy a grate for a weber kettle just slightly smaller. I think that is whut most of them BDS folks do.

bigwheel

Re: Grates

Northsmoke said:
I'm building a UDS and was wondering what size charcoal grate you all use and where do you suggest I purchase it?
Thanks
Pick up an 18 in. grate and some expanded metal from Home Depot.

Smart thinning Senor Queeks Draw. My barrell was full of tomater sauce from Venezuala. Might be toxic for all I know. Now at least it aint from China. That could be dangerous.

bigwheel

UDS

Thanks everyone, my drum is a foodgrade drum that held peanut oil, not motor oil.
I did measure the drum at 22" in dia and check homedepot which had only 22.5" and 18.5" available.
Was looking for a grate that closely matches my drum size and was just wondering if you all know where I could find a 21"or 22" grate.
Thanks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom