UDS part search

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

backyardbbq

Senior Cook
I live in Kansas City, Mo and I am looking to start gathering parts for an UDS. I have a weber kettle that I am more than willing to sacrifice for the cause, but I can't seem to locate a safe and cheap drum. Does anyone know a place or have the appropriate connections? I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or help.

I know this is what everyone else says, but keep your hopes up and check craigs list daily for all areas within driving distance in the materials, farm supplies, household....catagories. Call everyone who posted one for sale in the last month and ask what was in them and if they have a liner in them(not the plastic bag one...the epoxy one). Don't pay more than 10-15 dollars unless it is one of those fancy refurbished drums that they have washed up and don't have a liner.

Just my 2 cents. I found mine within a week of seriously pursuing it on craigs list and it was 20 miles away.

I found drums for $10 a piece, open top with lids, and contained water soluble ink. Now I just need to gather up all the little nuts and bolts and decide how I'm going to regulate air flow. I'll be sure to document my process and post pics as I proceed!

Success!! I have found a food grade 55 gallon barrel for FREE!!!! I am hoping for a burn tomorrow, since it is lined. I will be sure to get some picks and post them up.

Right now I'm keeping it simple with one grate and no water pan, may experiment with a second grate and water pan if I need the space.

backyardbbq said:
Success!! I have found a food grade 55 gallon barrel for FREE!!!! I am hoping for a burn tomorrow, since it is lined. I will be sure to get some picks and post them up.

Right now I'm keeping it simple with one grate and no water pan, may experiment with a second grate and water pan if I need the space.

Save the work, stress and black bugers! Drop it off at a powder shop and have it sandblasted and powder coated.

I am currently rockin 2 grates and no water pan with a weber kettle lid modified to fit the top of the drum. No problems here with the two grates!(and a lot easier than constructing drum #2 to get 1 more grate)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom