UDS build question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I haven't built one, but based on what I've read from people who have: (1) It's good that the drum contained food-grade juice concentrate. You don't have to worry about any residual nasty chemicals. (2) It does appear to have a lining, and yes, you should remove it.

That would be a great drum for a UDS but it does have a coating that needs to be burned off. If you can find a drum that doesn't have a coating your are better off. The hardest part of building a UDS is getting that coating off, the rest is a piece of cake.

Vermin999 said:
That would be a great drum for a UDS but it does have a coating that needs to be burned off. If you can find a drum that doesn't have a coating your are better off. The hardest part of building a UDS is getting that coating off, the rest is a piece of cake.

I am just wondering if the coating on those drums if it is more work than it is worth to remove that coating. Being that it was used for food previously, I am guessing that it would be bonded on there pretty well in order to pass inspection.

The drum I used had the coating on it. Its not really hard to get it off it just takes a hot fire, time, patience, a sander and some elbow grease.

That is exactly what mine looked like until last weekend. Expect to burn for like 1-2 hours, then sand/brush for 1-2 hours, then clean, dry, paint, and oil for a total of 5 hours from start to finish. My recommendation would be either to buy an unlined drum, or be ready to do a little dirty work one weekend.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom