UDS build... Finally time for an upgrade... - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > BBQ Pit Mods
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2010, 07:43 PM   #1
Pork Butt

UDS build... Finally time for an upgrade...

I've been using a 18" Weber ever since I got bit by the BBQ bug... After I came across the "huge" UDS build page and realized I have access to free used 55 gallon drums, I've started my build... I was a little worried about what was inside, but most board members say a good burn and a good cleaning will make things safe.

After I picked the drum up...

I can across a thread where someone who found a 22.5" grill at Big Lots that had a lid that will fit on 55 gallon closed top drums, so I went and picked one up... The lid fits pretty well... Its a little tight, but I think a little hammering or using an angle grinder around the lip will make it fit perfectly...

Yesterday I finally had some free time and was able to get out there and cut the lid out... It only took about 5 minutes to get it all done...

Then I took the angle grinder around the edges and smoothed everything out... Plus I was able to use a rubber mallet to knock out a few dents that were on the sides... Everything is coming together now...

I hope to be able to pick up some U-bolts and get a good burn out on it this weekend... I have a freezer full and ready to test this thing out...

Old 02-23-2010, 08:02 PM   #2
Saint O'Que

Re: UDS build... Finally time for an upgrade...

Nice score! You got a great start goin' Jester
Keep us posted!

WEBER PERFORMER GRILL
WHISKEY BARREL SMOKER
OLE BOY OFFSET SMOKER
10% FINISHED CABINET SMOKER BUILD
BluzQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:11 PM   #3
Pork Butt

I'm starting to debate on getting a BGE vent or sticking to the 4 1" holes that most people seem to be drilling... hmmmm...
Old 02-23-2010, 08:34 PM   #4

Lookin' good so far .. keep on posting I want to see more.
KCBS Certified Judge #53267
bbquzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 05:53 PM   #5
Saint O'Que

I did 6 one inch holes on top of mine and 4 one inch holes at the bottom. Used the cheep chrome plugs at the top and bottom. Three out will cook my chicken at 375 and one out will cook an even 240-260 with briquettes. I use lump and a stoker so it holds whatever I want. I'd reccomend stainless hardware no zinc coating stuff and stay very far away from galvanized it's got led in it. I got the inside down to the metal too. Dont want to chance the kids growing a tail.
Tri Tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:18 PM   #6
Pork Butt

I'm picking up my BGE large vent tomorrow... The store closed before I even got off work. So now I'm going to have to make a trip out there tomorrow at lunch.

I also tried to see if I was going to be able to cut the bottom of the cheap grill to get the lid to fit better, but it actually fit really loosely inside the drum. The lid was also loose on the bottom of the grill... So I think it'll be better to just flex the lid to fit the actual top of the drum.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:50 PM   #7
Pork Butt

I went and picked up a large BGE vent today. It's really good quality... I'm stoked about having the door because I wans't sure how I was going to get the vent pipes and valves to work. Plus with the valves being around $20 each, then ass all the components and the vent becomes about the same price. The only frustrating part, is that I cant find my dremel to cut the rectangle out tonight. I'm going crazy digging around in my garage. Oh well, I'll get a buddy to bring his over tomorrow night... Then its burn out time Saturday morning....

Old 02-26-2010, 08:33 PM   #8
Pork Butt

Decide to get some work on the UDS done.... Here's some pics...

Old 02-27-2010, 12:09 AM   #9
Pork Butt

Do people pressure wash or clean out the drums after the burn out... There's a lot of soot on the upper part of the drum..??

Also, is there a time on the time limit for a good burn out..?!? I tried to keep it raging ad long as I could before I got freaked out about the police showing up... Hahahaa
Old 02-27-2010, 12:21 AM   #10
Saint O'Que

Dude, looks great keep us posted. I never thought of a BGE vent. Where did you get the Idea for that? Send some more picts. When it's done rub it down with lard and do a 2 hour burn with some wood chunks added to the charcoal. It won't hold good temps till about 4 or 5 cooks. You gotta get that thing nice and seasoned with a thick layer of baked on grease. I was usen mine for burgers and chicken for a couple of weeks when it was new just to speed up the seasoning. I always do an hour or two burn after I'm done cooken to really bake on the seasoning/grease. I wasn't too concerned about my venting in the bottom cus I use a stoker on long cooks. For high heat cooks 375 or so I just pull out two or three plugs. On your first couple of cooks youll only have that vent about in open. Here is my set up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STP61674.JPG
Views:	2698
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	3775  

Tri Tip is offline   Reply With Quote