UDS Basket Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well thought it would be better to go big on the basket. It gets cold up here in Canada and the UDS might need some extra fuel!

Well I was smoking in my UDS the other day, it was like 25* when I started it, and it had no problem holding it's temp..

Good to know Max. Ive got 3 briskets and a whole shoulder to cook. Using a vertical cabinet style from Wallyworld right now, hoping the UDS is a big step up!

Let me tell you it is. I have been using mine now for about 2 months, and they are alot more efficient. I can put 1/4 of a bag of charcoal in my basket, and it will go for hours and hours. The last smoke I did, which was some bacon, I smoked the bacon for about 12 hours, and the UDS kept going till the next day.

My UDS surprised me the other day when it managed to actually run short on fuel. It burned thru 8lbs of lump in 10 hours which forced me to finish 4 butts in the oven. The wind was blowing and it was cool but I normally expect 14 hours from 8 lbs.

Ya you could. We used a hacksaw but its pretty thin stuff. My buddy actually fabricated it, I was there for moral support.

Nice basket, I still need to make one. I taken the front cover off my big fan in the garage. I will need to make one before summer

I was just wondering if you can cut that expanded metal with wiss snips?
It depends on the guage of the expanded metal, and how much you care about springing the Wiss snips. I have cut across a 4' section of 16 Ga twice, but the snips are worthless after that. A cut-off saw, saber saw or sawzall will be quicker and the line you cut should be straighter than with the snips. Use eye protection.

BOB

Back
Top Bottom