Thermometers - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > BBQ Pit Mods
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-12-2008, 09:38 AM   #1
Rag
BBQ Centralite
 
Rag's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Berks Cty, Pa.
Posts: 3,020
Thermometers

I tested my Teltrus and Guru probes in boiling water. All read right on.
But.....when installed in the meadow creek. I get a big difference. I clip the Guru probe to the end of the Teltru probe and get 30* or more difference. The Teltru reads lower. If this is true, then a lot of guys are cooking at much higher temps than they think.
The real question is how can I get that different reading when clipped together.
Very, very weird.
__________________

__________________
Sleeps till done
Gasser
Weber Kettle (it's crap...gave away)
WSM 22.5
Meadow Creek TS250 (sold)
Meadow Creek chicken cooker
Rag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:41 PM   #2
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Cliff H.'s Avatar


 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Jonesboro, Arkansas
Posts: 6,143
Would whatever method you are using to clip one probe to another be somehow inhibiting the thermometer in question ?
__________________

__________________
" Never let a day go by "
Cliff H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:23 AM   #3
Rag
BBQ Centralite
 
Rag's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Berks Cty, Pa.
Posts: 3,020
Sounds logical Cliff, but I would think after a long period of time both probes would reach the same temp.
What I have is an alligator clip with an hollow end for elect test probe to fit in. The Guru probe slides into this gator clip and then I clip it to the Teltru probe. I'm really amazed at the offset in temps.
Could this be the case with all large offsets?
__________________
Sleeps till done
Gasser
Weber Kettle (it's crap...gave away)
WSM 22.5
Meadow Creek TS250 (sold)
Meadow Creek chicken cooker
Rag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:28 AM   #4
Moderator
 
wittdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: West Seneca NY
Posts: 9,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rag
Sounds logical Cliff, but I would think after a long period of time both probes would reach the same temp.
What I have is an alligator clip with an hollow end for elect test probe to fit in. The Guru probe slides into this gator clip and then I clip it to the Teltru probe. I'm really amazed at the offset in temps.
Could this be the case with all large offsets?
How far into the cook did you take the temp?
It's been my experience that digital therms tend to react quicker then the other kind.
__________________
Save the gas for the criminals Q with wood...

I get more sauced then my Ribs

My Bark is as good as my Bite!

Swine so fine it's Criminal

Never trust a skinny cook!!!!!!!!
wittdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:43 AM   #5
Rag
BBQ Centralite
 
Rag's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Berks Cty, Pa.
Posts: 3,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by wittdog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rag
Sounds logical Cliff, but I would think after a long period of time both probes would reach the same temp.
What I have is an alligator clip with an hollow end for elect test probe to fit in. The Guru probe slides into this gator clip and then I clip it to the Teltru probe. I'm really amazed at the offset in temps.
Could this be the case with all large offsets?
How far into the cook did you take the temp?
It's been my experience that digital therms tend to react quicker then the other kind.
A couple of hours. I have to do more testing. This is too weird to let pass.
__________________
Sleeps till done
Gasser
Weber Kettle (it's crap...gave away)
WSM 22.5
Meadow Creek TS250 (sold)
Meadow Creek chicken cooker
Rag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:49 AM   #6
Moderator
 
wittdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: West Seneca NY
Posts: 9,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rag
Quote:
Originally Posted by wittdog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rag
Sounds logical Cliff, but I would think after a long period of time both probes would reach the same temp.
What I have is an alligator clip with an hollow end for elect test probe to fit in. The Guru probe slides into this gator clip and then I clip it to the Teltru probe. I'm really amazed at the offset in temps.
Could this be the case with all large offsets?
How far into the cook did you take the temp?
It's been my experience that digital therms tend to react quicker then the other kind.
A couple of hours. I have to do more testing. This is too weird to let pass.
You sure you werent' having a flash back or a senior moment?
__________________
Save the gas for the criminals Q with wood...

I get more sauced then my Ribs

My Bark is as good as my Bite!

Swine so fine it's Criminal

Never trust a skinny cook!!!!!!!!
wittdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:02 AM   #7
Baby Back


 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Guelph, Ontario Canada
Posts: 52
Rag

how do you like your Meadow Creek TS250? I bought a BBQ42 chicken cooker through them last year. I needed to make a few small changes to it but overall I am very happy. When they built mine they were switching paint companies and when I got it they had wrapped platic all over to protect the finish. the problem was that the paint had not dried yet and I had marks allover. this was followed by the paint falling off in large chuncks. Meadow creek has been very good in dealing with it. they are willing to pay to fix the paint. only problem it is under 3 feet of snow now.

Tim
BBQcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:14 AM   #8
Rag
BBQ Centralite
 
Rag's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Berks Cty, Pa.
Posts: 3,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by pressuretreatedsmoker
Rag

how do you like your Meadow Creek TS250? I bought a BBQ42 chicken cooker through them last year. I needed to make a few small changes to it but overall I am very happy. When they built mine they were switching paint companies and when I got it they had wrapped platic all over to protect the finish. the problem was that the paint had not dried yet and I had marks allover. this was followed by the paint falling off in large chuncks. Meadow creek has been very good in dealing with it. they are willing to pay to fix the paint. only problem it is under 3 feet of snow now.

Tim
I live about 45 minutes from MC. They are very nice folks and will take care of you.
The ts250 is super. Haven't been able to find a fault with it so far other than the axle is a touch too far back which makes it hitch heavy for hand moving. You wouldn't belive how that makes my wife bitch.
I have had some roaring fires and the firebox paint has held up good.
They cost a bit more, but it is better made than most. Better cost more....a fact of life.
__________________
Sleeps till done
Gasser
Weber Kettle (it's crap...gave away)
WSM 22.5
Meadow Creek TS250 (sold)
Meadow Creek chicken cooker
Rag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:57 AM   #9
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Cliff H.'s Avatar


 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Jonesboro, Arkansas
Posts: 6,143
Are you having trouble getting rid of that Lang ?
__________________
" Never let a day go by "
Cliff H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:43 PM   #10
Rag
BBQ Centralite
 
Rag's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Berks Cty, Pa.
Posts: 3,020
I haven't pushed it to much. I posted for sale on 3 forums. A fellow in MI is interested, but looking at several makes.
Maybe later I'll turn up the wick.
__________________
Sleeps till done
Gasser
Weber Kettle (it's crap...gave away)
WSM 22.5
Meadow Creek TS250 (sold)
Meadow Creek chicken cooker
Rag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:17 AM   #11
Moderator
 
wittdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: West Seneca NY
Posts: 9,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rag
I haven't pushed it to much. I posted for sale on 3 forums. A fellow in MI is interested, but looking at several makes.
Maybe later I'll turn up the wick.
Drop it off here.....that way I wont' have to wait till you will it to me
__________________
Save the gas for the criminals Q with wood...

I get more sauced then my Ribs

My Bark is as good as my Bite!

Swine so fine it's Criminal

Never trust a skinny cook!!!!!!!!
wittdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:18 AM   #12
Rag
BBQ Centralite
 
Rag's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Berks Cty, Pa.
Posts: 3,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Dan
Rag, I'll be there on Sat, come hell or blinding snow. I am the fellow in Mich.Looking forward to meeting you. I checked out your pics of the winery pig roast. Looks like ya had alot of fun.

See ya sat!

Dan J.

Don't fight the weather, Dan, it isn't going anywhere unless Wittdog sneaks down here..
__________________
Sleeps till done
Gasser
Weber Kettle (it's crap...gave away)
WSM 22.5
Meadow Creek TS250 (sold)
Meadow Creek chicken cooker
Rag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:30 PM   #13
Rag
BBQ Centralite
 
Rag's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Berks Cty, Pa.
Posts: 3,020
Great news Capt. Nine hours is long. It's hard to tell if the Lang is behind ya....have to keep checking the mirrors.
Now you have to cook up something and post the pics. She don't like to sit idle.
__________________
Sleeps till done
Gasser
Weber Kettle (it's crap...gave away)
WSM 22.5
Meadow Creek TS250 (sold)
Meadow Creek chicken cooker
Rag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:00 AM   #14
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Larry Wolfe's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bealeton, Virginia
Posts: 14,969
Re: Thermometers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rag
I tested my Teltrus and Guru probes in boiling water. All read right on.
But.....when installed in the meadow creek. I get a big difference. I clip the Guru probe to the end of the Teltru probe and get 30* or more difference. The Teltru reads lower. If this is true, then a lot of guys are cooking at much higher temps than they think.
The real question is how can I get that different reading when clipped together.
Very, very weird.
Rag, how far into you cooker is the stem from the Tel Tru? If you notice on the stem there are grooves, those must be inside the cooker and not touching anything in order to have an accurate reading. The problem could be your stem could be too short.

HERE is what I'm talking about!

BTW you can buy Tel-Tru Thermometers HERE at the lowest price you will find!
__________________

__________________
Larry Wolfe
Visit the Wolfe Pit
Wolfe Rub Recipes
Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off







Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×