The Cheap POS Cube Roaster/Smoker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Slow

I'm here for the food...
I bought this little cube smoker on sale for $15 about three years ago. It's a real POS BUT is does a very, very good job and produces some amazing Q. The little cube was advertised as a smoker but it's really for roasting turkeys. It has four charcoal baskets which hang in each corner of the cube, placing the turkey in the middle in a basket. The idea is you fill the baskets, let the charcoal burn down, then drop the turkey in and let the hot embers roast it. I tried it twice and it was terrible so I "converted" it into an electric smoker.

In the very bottom there is a pull out ash pan, this is where my electric skillet sits. Inside the skillet is a cast iron pan where my wood goes. I keep them seperate for clean up purposes. On top of the cast iron pan is a grate. Sitting atop a the grate is a water/drip pan. Suspended above the drip pan via some old coat hangars is another grate which the meat sits on.

This little smoker has one setting - ON. You turn the skillet on, crank it to high and that's it. It will hold 215F for DAYS. I've used it in freezing temps and it just sits at 215F all day long. I was thinking of painting it after this season is over since the factory paint is peeling. Then again I might just throw it away.

There is enough room inside for a 7 lb pork shoulder and a larger chicken, a single 10 lb shoulder, a single larger turkey, or two racks of pork/beef ribs (I have a seperate rick which lets them stand up to conserve space).

When I first started smoking with it the temp flucuated like nuts. Then I started using the water/drip pan full of water and put two bricks in the bottom under the electric skillet.

Total investment in this thing, including the skillet, cast iron pan, grates and extension cored: $30.

For small cooks it does great. Yes, it's a complete POS. And I love the little thing.

Well she finally rusted out and I had to pitch her. Down to Walmart I go, curious what they will have if anything this time of year.

It's odd how you can get attached to things that annoy you ( at least , that's what my wife says)... But seriously , I sold my brinkmann gourmet smoker when I got my WSM. And I always thought the thing was a PITA to use , but I have to admit I miss it. I always did like the color....
img_253808_0_8f4a29022ecffe66b94c2f513f979aa9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hey Ham, don't let people ever tell you that Brinkmanns are bad. I have 2, and never have had a real problem with either of them. Besides a minor tweaking, on my vertical one, I would never trade it.

Hey Ham, don't let people ever tell you that Brinkmanns are bad. I have 2, and never have had a real problem with either of them. Besides a minor tweaking, on my vertical one, I would never trade it.

I hear ya ! Trouble is , I never read this forum til I got my WSM ....if I had , I prob'ly woulda kept it!......I'll tell ya what , the guy who bought it off me for 10 bucks was tickled pink to get it!

Back
Top Bottom