Stoker extension cable(s)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LowRent

Senior Cook
After discussing this with Rock, it's my understanding that all that's needed for Stoker cable extension(s) is a single stereo 1/4" Plug to 1/4" Jack cable of a length not to exceed 25' such as this one: 20-Ft. Stereo Headphone Cable, 1/4" Jack to 1/4" Plug
(see immediately below) which costs $8.29 as is commonly available in stores or can be ordered online.

pRS1C-2266522w345.jpg

One needs only one cable because via use of "Y" adaptors (see immediately below) which costs $5.99 and is commonly available in stores or can be ordered online you can put all your sensor/blower signals onto one cable. In my case, I have a food temp sensor, a pit temp sensor, and a blower that all need to be connected. If I've got it right, I need two Y adaptors and one cable.

pRS1C-2266718w345.jpg

The use of multiple Y adaptors is, IMHO, an inelegant solution. But, it is a quick and easy one.

Now, the astute amongst you will have already noticed that I linked a "stereo". i.e. not mono, cable & connector. All three of the stock 1/4 phone plugs that came with my unit are "stereo" type. So, while any number of different cables & connectors can be used, if you are going to make substitutions I would urge you to get stereo type connectors & cables as this is what the unit comes with, and, presumably mono will not work.

Yeah but,
wireless routers, gooey interfaces, satelite uplinks all sound better :D and therefore must be better. :LOL:

DATsBBQ said:
Yeah but,
wireless routers, gooey interfaces, satelite uplinks all sound better :D and therefore must be better. :LOL:

Fair enough ;) , but all of those devices and that interface would be connected to the Stoker after these cables & adapters were used--but of course, you already knew that.

LowRent said:
DATsBBQ said:
Yeah but,

Fair enough ;) , but all of those devices and that interface would be connected to the Stoker after these cables & adapters were used--but of course, you already knew that.
I don't know....I kind of like the idea of sitting there drinking beer while the pit cooks.... ;)

brian j said:
LowRent said:
In my case, I have a food temp sensor, a pit temp sensor, and a blower that all need to be connected. If I've got it right, I need two Y adaptors and one cable.
i think i'm a little cornfused here. you have 3 cables (food, pit, and blower) so how do you only need 2 y adaptors and one cable? shouldn't you need 4 y adapters (2 on each end) and 2 cables since the y adapters only accept 2 plugs?
think005.gif

Nope. He has 3 devices on the "cooking" end. Plug one Y adaptor into the other - now you have 3 available jacks (two on one adaptor, and one on the other). Plug your 3 devices into these. Now, plug the whole assembly into the female end of the extension cord. The male end of the extension goes into the Stoker's control box. The way the "one wire" system works, you can plug many devices, in parallel, into one 3-conductor cable. Each device can be addressed individually by the controller, even though all are connected to it by the same 3 wires.

Larry D. said:
[quote="brian j":1s8wow59]
LowRent said:
In my case, I have a food temp sensor, a pit temp sensor, and a blower that all need to be connected. If I've got it right, I need two Y adaptors and one cable.
i think i'm a little cornfused here. you have 3 cables (food, pit, and blower) so how do you only need 2 y adaptors and one cable? shouldn't you need 4 y adapters (2 on each end) and 2 cables since the y adapters only accept 2 plugs?
think005.gif

Nope. He has 3 devices on the "cooking" end. Plug one Y adaptor into the other - now you have 3 available jacks (two on one adaptor, and one on the other). Plug your 3 devices into these. Now, plug the whole assembly into the female end of the extension cord. The male end of the extension goes into the Stoker's control box. The way the "one wire" system works, you can plug many devices, in parallel, into one 3-conductor cable. Each device can be addressed individually by the controller, even though all are connected to it by the same 3 wires.[/quote:1s8wow59]

Exactly. It's a slick deal with the Stoker.

wittdog said:
LowRent said:
DATsBBQ said:
Yeah but,

I don't know....I kind of like the idea of sitting there drinking beer while the pit cooks.... ;)

You know, you can sit there drinking beer while the pit cooks and use or not use a Stoker at the same time. :)

LowRent said:
wittdog said:
LowRent said:
DATsBBQ said:
Yeah but,

You know, you can sit there drinking beer while the pit cooks and use or not use a Stoker at the same time. :)
My justification for the beer consumption...is all the work it takes to Q. ;) Just having a little fun. I renamed the mrs the Stoker..get out of bed and stoke the pit.

wittdog said:
LowRent said:
wittdog said:
LowRent said:
DATsBBQ said:
Yeah but,

My justification for the beer consumption...is all the work it takes to Q. ;) Just having a little fun. I renamed the mrs the Stoker..get out of bed and stoke the pit.

I figured as much... I usually just grab a beer when I want one even when there is a clear lack of justification for doing so. :shock: :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom