Smoky joe mini builds ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frank h

Cook
I keep seeing these mini WSM smokers made from the weber smoky joe grill and ....(I guess).... a big ol soup pan with the bottom cut out....
These look wicked cool , but what are they used for? I mean , what exactly are the advantages of making one of these? i have heard some of the thought process (eg) smaller , more economical , easier to cook for 2 people and these all make sense. are a lot of folks on this forum makuing or using these ? i guess im just trying to convince myself that it'd be worthwhile to have one of these in addition to my WSM 18.5
http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj520/FrankH1950/mini_zps2018c695.jpg

Hambone I saw them on TVWB and got parts for two, my Son-in-law built one and my parts are still in the garage. He has used it a few times for fatties and chicken. It looks cool, but not sure it is really a necessity. Post some pictures if you build one.

The advantage is that they do not cost a whole lot, and they are very economical to operate, they are just the right size for 2 to 6 people, I have seen people do 4 racks of baby back on them. If you think about it you can build one with 2 grate levels for around $65 - $75. Not to mention it would work alot better than the el-cheap-o's that are out there, that you have to use more money to customize them.

But all in all it is up to you on what you want to do with your money, we all are here for suggestions. I hope you take the time to seriously think about what you want to do.

The advantage is that they do not cost a whole lot, and they are very economical to operate, If you think about it you can build one with 2 grate levels for around $65 - $75. Not to mention it would work alot better than the el-cheap-o's that are out there, that you have to use more money to customize them.

But all in all it is up to you on what you want to do with your money, we all are here for suggestions. I hope you take the time to seriously think about what you want to do.

and I guess that's my quandary .....I just bought a WSM 18.5 and thought it was the ultimate....and now I'm almost thinking that for around 80 bux , I could've turned my old smoky joe into a perfect sized smoker for me n wifey and my boys.......
Well , I do appreciate everyone's helpful comments and I enjoy this forum tremendously. Whatever I do , I'll post pictures. Have a great day.:D

Don't feel like you made a mistake with the WSM, it is a winner for sure!
thanks , I'm sure you're right. I always seem to second guess myself , but in the long run I think the WSM is going to make me happy for a long time

Two of the happiest days in my life were the day I bought my WSM, and the day I passed it on to another owner. That day was a happy day for sure, the day it happened, but I really do miss the simplicity of the WSM.

I do still have my Homer Simpson Smoky Joe. Just for fun, I might try to round up the materials to make it into a "mini WSM":)

BOB

Back
Top Bottom