Smokey Joe heat problem - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > BBQ Pit Mods
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2007, 11:20 AM   #1
Cooker

Smokey Joe heat problem

I bought a Smokey Joe during the recent Ace Hardware sale to use for tailgating this year. I've tried it several times since then. I have a real problem getting it hot enough for direct grilling. I saw on some other sites where individuals have made extensive mods to them by adding a vent on the bottom. I'm lazy, don't want to do it!!

I'm trying something today that may be a solution. I'm using the charcoal grate from my WSM in it. It's larger and raises the charcoal level closer to the side vents. I'll see what happens.

Anyone else had the same problem and have any other suggestions???

PantherTailgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 12:31 PM   #2
Official BBQ Central Mark

Drill a couple of hole in the bottom for some air flow if you don't want to add a vent.

Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 12:47 PM   #3
Cooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Wolfe
Drill a couple of hole in the bottom for some air flow if you don't want to add a vent.
I don't want to start drilling on it unless I can help it. Rather not make holes in the bottom because I'll be transporting it in my car after the game.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherTailgater
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Wolfe
I don't want to start drilling on it unless I can help it. Rather not make holes in the bottom because I'll be transporting it in my car after the game.
You can still transport it after the games, it will be a little lighter though.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:23 PM   #5
Cooker

[quote=Nick Prochilo]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherTailgater
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Larry Wolfe":31ob8izk
You can still transport it after the games, it will be a little lighter though.[/quote:31ob8izk]

LOL! My concern was the remainining ash falling through the bottom holes that were drilled. Maybe I'm being a little too anal about it... I'll probably put it in a garbage bag after the game anyway so it's probably not an issue.

BTW, using the WSM charcoal grill worked better. However, the hot spot on the Smokey Joe is in the center. Had to rotate food to the center to get meat and veggies grilled properly.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:47 PM   #6
Pope O'Que

Problem...???? with ???

HUH??????

Smokey_Joe

The weather is here.... wish you were beautiful

Imagine my disappointment if i were here to make you happy
Smokey_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 02:56 PM   #7
Cooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey_Joe
Problem...???? with ???

HUH??????

Smokey_Joe
Oh yeah!

Lose those shades and that HAT!! Messes up the grill......
Old 07-30-2007, 09:12 PM   #8
Official BBQ Central Mark

Mount a Guru on it.

"Of all the imaginary friends I've had, I don't think there was one that I didn't end up having to kill."

in seach of Umami
Finney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 04:16 PM   #9
Smoker

I take it your new to this charcoal tail-gating thing.

You can get plenty heat out of a un-modified Smokey Joe for everything but steak and fish. Most tail-gate foods don't want a lot of heat at the meat anyway. Hamburgers, sausage, chicken, meat on sticks, etc., all do best at low medium. Webers do low through medium pretty well with their cute little lids on as a sort of mix of radiant and connvection heat.

If you're going to cook something that requires serious grill temp, like steak, you'll have to drill out a couple of vents to get some air under the fire. There is no other way. If you're very creative you'll liberate a rotating vent cover like the one that goes on the top and drill your holes accordingly. Even then, you're probably not going to get the 600+ degree temps you need to do steak right. Hell, you can't get that out of a full size kettle either.

One hates to sound harsh (or does one?), but if you want HEAT you bought the wrong grill. Like every Weber, it is what it is, and it's a damn good grill for things it does damn well. They have their limitations.

When you're done cooking, the fire completely out, the grill cool, ... etc., etc., bag the ash and put the bag in the grill until you can dispose of it. But you should do that whether or not you've drilled out the bottom.

Klose Steak Grill with Swing Set
Backwoods Fatboy with DigiQ II
Other Stuff
boar_d_laze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 06:01 AM   #10
Cooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boar_d_laze
I take it your new to this charcoal tail-gating thing.

You can get plenty heat out of a un-modified Smokey Joe for everything but steak and fish. Most tail-gate foods don't want a lot of heat at the meat anyway. Hamburgers, sausage, chicken, meat on sticks, etc., all do best at low medium. Webers do low through medium pretty well with their cute little lids on as a sort of mix of radiant and connvection heat.

If you're going to cook something that requires serious grill temp, like steak, you'll have to drill out a couple of vents to get some air under the fire. There is no other way. If you're very creative you'll liberate a rotating vent cover like the one that goes on the top and drill your holes accordingly. Even then, you're probably not going to get the 600+ degree temps you need to do steak right. Hell, you can't get that out of a full size kettle either.

One hates to sound harsh (or does one?), but if you want HEAT you bought the wrong grill. Like every Weber, it is what it is, and it's a damn good grill for things it does damn well. They have their limitations.

When you're done cooking, the fire completely out, the grill cool, ... etc., etc., bag the ash and put the bag in the grill until you can dispose of it. But you should do that whether or not you've drilled out the bottom.
Ummmm.....thanks for the input. You mean I shouldn't sit my hot grill with all the hot ash in the back seat of the car without starting a fire or damaging the vehicle? Dang, sure would never have figured that out!

I wasn't referring to SEARING heat, I'm talking about adequate heat for burgers, chicken, etc. I've used it several times for those items and I've been unable to get it hot enough with a full chimney of lump (which I want to use because of quantity of ash) to get a nice grilled finish on those items. Maybe I'm too used to my Chargriller and the other Weber portable I have, the Go-Anywhere Charcoal.

I used the charcoal grill from the WSM, which raised the charcoal level so that it gets some air flow through the vents, and it appears to work much better now.

Maybe I'll be able to muddle through another year of tailgating........