Smoker advice - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > BBQ Pit Mods
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2006, 09:45 AM   #1
Graduate of BBQ Central

The last competition I was at, which was also was my first BBQ competition, we were using my brother-in-law's big homemade smoker. I looked over and the team next to us was using 2 WSM's. We finished in 12th place and they finished in 3rd. HHHMMMM...... I would buy another WSM and that should be enough to compete and you can get started a lot cheaper. But it is up to you!

Rubs so Good, They're better than Ketchup!

http://ddogsbbq.com

http://www.myspace.com/ddogsbbq
ddog27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 10:30 AM   #2
Official BBQ Central Mark

Re: Smoker advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swing City BBQ
I have a WSM and I love it, but I am looking for something that will hold more, well at least enough for competitions. I have done a lot of research, but I want to see what you all think is the best. Built to last, with a minimal amout of getting the smoker road ready on the last day of a competition. Question # two: Does anybody have a preference between a water smoker, conventional smoker, or a rotisery type smoker (ie. Austin National or Southern Yankee?

Thanks to all
Swing City BBQ
Not sure what you are looking for or how much you want to spend. If you want to stick with charcoal, I've heard all good things about Stumps. Or if you want to switch to a stick burner I'd recommend a Gator.

Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 08:23 PM   #3
Web Celeb

Swing...if you haven't yet...listen to the podcasts with Gator, Stumps and Spicewine. You get a real idea of how each individual is and how they run their respective companies. It's a good reference!
Old 01-13-2006, 08:36 PM   #4
God O'Que

Take a look at Klose Pits too.

"I'd rather be dead in my skin than be a fan of a Redskin."
Uncle Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 11:24 PM   #5
Saint O'Que

Quote:
I have a WSM and I love it, but I am looking for something that will hold more, well at least enough for competitions. I have done a lot of research, but I want to see what you all think is the best. Built to last, with a minimal amout of getting the smoker road ready on the last day of a competition. Question # two: Does anybody have a preference between a water smoker, conventional smoker, or a rotisery type smoker (ie. Austin National or Southern Yankee?

Thanks to all
Swing City BBQ
Yall might think I am nuts but I am happy with my hand made 55 gallon drum somker with side firebox , would I like to have one of those fancy rigs , heck yea but I will never be able to afford it. It gets temps up to 275 and thats enough for me. I will be getting a friend to make modifications to it by adding a second barrel for more smoking area, one day I may be able to get a small pull behind trailer and enter some competitions myself.
South Carolina BBQ Association Master Judge
2- 22 1/2 '' WSMs
1 single barrel 55 gallon drum smoker
WalterSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 07:24 AM   #6
Official BBQ Central Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterSC
Quote:

Thanks to all
Swing City BBQ
Yall might think I am nuts but I am happy with my hand made 55 gallon drum somker with side firebox , would I like to have one of those fancy rigs , heck yea but I will never be able to afford it. It gets temps up to 275 and thats enough for me. I will be getting a friend to make modifications to it by adding a second barrel for more smoking area, one day I may be able to get a small pull behind trailer and enter some competitions myself.
Walter, I don't think you are nuts at all! Shoot that works and it was cheap, nothing wrong with that at all!!
Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 07:30 AM   #7
Saint O'Que

Walter, I don't think you are nuts at all! Shoot that works and it was cheap, nothing wrong with that at all!![/quote]

Thanks Larry , I will continue to drool at those big rigs , as they do look nice . Its just not practical for what I do at home , if I had a big family it would work , but as it stands now all I do at home is backyard stuff and its just me and Niki and it works for us. At almost every competition I have judged it seems the fellas and ladies with the small hand made set ups and smaller grills and smokers have put a whippin on the fellas and ladies with the big rigs.
2- 22 1/2 '' WSMs
Old 01-14-2006, 08:39 AM   #8

WSM won the last Smoke on the Beach (Kilted Kirby). He had 2 wsms and a table if I recall. and an EZ up. That was about it.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:45 AM   #9

Walter, I think you're nuts! Nuts about BBQ!!
Old 01-14-2006, 10:17 AM   #10
Saint O'Que

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker
Walter, I think you're nuts! Nuts about BBQ!!
GOT THAT RIGHT!!!! LOL

2- 22 1/2 '' WSMs