question about smokers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is my first post, ive been reading through this forum and everyone here seems very helpfull. I have a char-griller smokin pro and i was looking into geting a gas smoker, im not gonna be doing any comps so im thinking a gas smoker will be good for me. I just want some input on these types of smokers. thanks

Are you stuck on gas? I might suggest looking at the Cookshack brand of electric smokers. They are top notch! I don't have a lot of experience with gas smokers but the Big Block unit you can get at Gander Mountain seems to be fairly nice.

What is your price range!?

welcome Steel, great to have another Tar Heel here.

Give us some more info....you planning on mainly cooking
for you and your family?

As Greg said, what price range are you looking for?

How important is ease of use vs. the cost?

Do you like to play with the fire the whole time and sit back
with a cold one while the cooker does the work?

How important is smoke flavor to you?

Its gonna be just for backyard family gatherings and parties. Price i guess would be nothing above 1000. I dont want a really easy smoker if it means that i cant have a good smoke flavor. Im not stuck on gas, i never have used it, just thinkin about it, it just seems easy and looks like you still get your smoke flavor from chips but i dont know.

I don't want to steer you away from what you are looking at but for the money you cant beat a WSM (Weber Smokey Mountain).

1. It is a real smoker so your family and friends will FINALLY think you're a stud :LOL:

2. For ~$200 it's dirt cheap

3. real smoker=real good food

4. super easy to use.

5. unlike smokers that need electricity there are no components that will break or fail. A WSM will always work in damn near any condition.

6. I own Weber and would like your business (o.k., that's a lie).

Cookshack is the way to go...easily under $1k and you will get the true smoke flavor you are looking for. My Dad has the 008 and he loves it...I have eaten Q from it and it is top notch!

If live fire is an option at all...WSM wins!!

Ill have to look into the cookshack. I aint never ate bbq off a gas smoker or electric smoker (atleast i dont think i have) so im just worried about flavor.

you might want to talk to Larry Wolfe at wolferub.com he sells several types of grills and smokers.

I'd say you can't go wrong with a WSM either.

Yea, I second that. For a thousand dollars you could get a Primo XL Oval from Larry and free shipping too!

The Primos's are great cookers. You can smoke or grill or smokes and grill if you use the divider. Smoke your ribs finish them off on the other side with direct heat. Many options with the stackable racks. Uses charcoal, lump or briquettes and/or wood chunks or chips. You can even bake pizzas in these things.

Check them out!

http://www.primogrill.com/

Larry has the best deals on them that I've seen.

http://wolfes5.tripod.com/wolferub/

That primo looks like the big green egg, is there a difference or is it the same type of grill/smoker? Been lookin at the WSM but it looks so dagum tiny, but ive only seen pictures. I really appreciate every ones help this is a great forum.

Its just name difference...they are both ceramic cookers that do basically the same thing. You can also look at Kamado and Grilldome for more ceramic options.

Back
Top Bottom